Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Coolcoolcoolcoolcool

As I set out to read my selections of Aristotle this morning, I expected my brain to short out. I mean, I read Douglas Adams and speculate as to whether Klingons should be baptized. Aristotle is one of the greatest minds in the Western world. There's a certain incompatibility there, don't you think?

Instead, I dive into his Poetics and find what is essentially a "How to Write a Book" manual. I never would have expected Aristotle to say something like, "For even if the person being imitated is inconsistent and that is the sort of character he displays, still he must be consistently inconsistent."

Pardon me while I run about in circles squealing with delight. Aristotle is SO COOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're on your way to joining the Greek Geeks club....

D.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I liked Poetics. Nichomachean Ethics, not so much. He's very, very clear in everything he says, but then he starts talking about things he says he proved or demonstrated earlier even though he never specifically did, just talked kinda randomly on the subject. That said, I had a philosophy tutor in high school who said most of what he taught us was from Aristotle, so I guess for those who can put together what he ultimately is saying it's pretty good (I thought that philosophy class was awesome).

Dernhelm said...

Aristotle consistently reminds me how inconsistent I am in my writing skills, haha.