Wednesday, November 14, 2007

God Listens

I am going to do a longer post about last night's Praise and Worship as I get time, but for now let it suffice that the main thing I got out of it was, "No encounter with God is ever normal."

I go to Mass pretty much daily. It can get routine after a while. Get up, get dressed, brush your teeth, go to Mass, eat breakfast, check your email.

I must admit that I more often think, "Hmm, I wonder what's going to be for breakfast this morning." than "Hmm, I wonder what the Lord wants to say to me this morning."

This morning as I was praying before Mass started I said, "Okay, God, I'm here and I'm listening." Then I made a special effort not to let my mind wander off during Mass. I have particular trouble with the homily--most days that's my nice little 10-minute nap.

Today, I was actually paying attention so I heard it when Father said, "We must identify ourselves with the Word in order to proclaim the little word that we've been given."

Maybe because I'm a writer, I've always had a particular devotion to Jesus as the Word. For the past year or so I've been calling myself "the little word".

Father didn't know that. God did. So, just a bit of friendly advice: if you ask God to touch you, make sure you mean it because He probably will.

3 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Cool.

By the way, when you say you are a writer, may I ask what kind of stuff you write? Not quite as in what genre unless that happens to be important to you, but as in novels, poetry, newspaper articles, emails that run on long enough they could be books...?

The Sojourner said...

Yes, badly, yes (I get paid!), and yes.

The Sojourner said...

I'm kind of a rodent writer, if you will allow me to coin a term. I must continually write in order to keep my mental incisors worn down.