Thursday, November 29, 2007

Here's the thing

Have all 6 of you, dear readers, heard of The Golden Compass?

Better question: Have any of you not heard of The Golden Compass?

One thing that just makes me laugh at the guy who wrote this book: he thinks he's being so clever and scandalous because he kills God.

The Romans beat you to it, honey. And guess what happened?

To paraphrase Lloyd Douglas in his book The Robe: "It is difficult to exterminate a people who refuse to stay dead when they are killed."

4 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

That's got to be the best comment on it I've heard yet.

Dernhelm said...

Great summary. Yes, I have unfortunately heard of that ridiculous book/ movie. Gah, the things people come up with!

Andi said...

Killing God! What will people think of next? Philosophically and logically it doesn't make sense at all. First of all, God is an immortal being. You can only kill mortal beings. And when Jesus died, I guess you can say they killed God's human body, but they didn't kill his soul.

BTW, in case you're wondering who I am, I'm a good friend of Rebekah S.

The Sojourner said...

That's a good point, A. I suppose you can have a creature that you call "God" who is mortal (such as in the book), but then the question remains, "So who created him?" And then you get into a lovely first-cause debate. Anyway, welcome. Now I shall have to address my posts to my 7 readers.

(P. S. I believe that the technical way of describing the crucifixion is to say that Jesus' human body and soul were separated from each other, but His Divinity was still in both, which was why He didn't suffer corruption.)