Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

In a few minutes, we will be celebrating what my dad has termed "Greenwich Meantime New Year." I will probably be in bed by 8. Then I will awake in the pale light of dawn to begin two months of accidentally writing "2007" on everything. It takes me so long to adjust to these things--I've only just begun self-identifying as an 18-year-old and my birthday was six weeks ago.

As my last words to you this year, I will, in fact, copy someone else's words. This quote pretty well sums up the kind of year I've had:

"Yes," said Dirk, "completely and utterly impossible."

He smiled.

"Luckily," he went on, "you have come to exactly the right place with your very interesting problem, for there is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact," he added, brandishing the abused book, "everything between 'herring' and 'marmelade' appears to be missing. Thank you, Miss Pearce, you have once again rendered me sterling service, for which I thank you and will, in the event of a successful outcome to this endeavor, even attempt to pay you. In the meantime we have much to think on, and I leave the office in your very capable hands."

--Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

No comments: