Friday, December 14, 2007

The View from 5 AM

I've gotten up before 6 for 5 of the last 7 mornings. Now here I am again. I could go back to bed, but there are so many things going through my head right now and there is something peaceful about a house before anyone else is awake. It's like my private time with God.

I'm afraid blogging may be light for the next month or so. Somehow I'm never as inclined to write here as I am at school. Perhaps the strange life of having 2000 people between the ages of 17 and 23 all on a campus together gives rise to many incongruities; whereas the life of two people who have been married 21 years, their 20-year-old daughter, and their 18-year-old daughter is so blessedly normal as to be almost unbloggable.

Here's a taste of my normal: We got home around 9 o'clock Wednesday. I was crabby with everyone. I went to bed. I got up at 5 the next morning and couldn't get back to sleep. The Internal Mother jocularly suggested that I use my insomnia to do something useful, like wash the dishes. So I did. Bet she thought I never actually would. :)

Then Mom and I went to 7:00 Mass. We sang badly (it's a requirement for daily Mass-goers here--if you can sing, sleep in), did all that sit-stand-kneel business Catholics are so fond of (it keeps us awake at these early Masses), and went up to receive Our Lord and Savior. Funny how you can just tack that onto the end of a sentence. "This morning I got up, got dressed, brushed my teeth, and received the King of Creation." I wrote a poem about it. It still strikes me that a handful of badly-singing people and a couple of ordinary priests can do this kind of thing on a daily basis.

A couple of my good friends were there and I ended up behind one of them in the Communion line. He looked over his shoulder and whispered, "So how's school going?" to which I replied, "Good." I might have elborated, but when there are only 20 people in the whole church the Communion line goes fast. So, there's an interesting tidbit for you: Even 60-year-old men sometimes whisper in church. And sometimes their teenage friends whisper back.

I spent most of the rest of the day sitting around, although I did cart all my assorted boxes upstairs and shove them in my room. My room is a mess now. I wish I could get pictures but the camera only talks to my mother's computer and blah blah blah so you people will just have to imagine it.

After dinner my mother had her FAMILIA meeting so she and her friends prayed and all that good stuff while Sister and I played board games with a ten-year-old girl and her 7-year-old sister. It was fun, especially when I pulled out this one board game that I got for Christmas back in the days when I was a horse-crazy ten-year-old and delighted the two girls with the horsiness of it. I think it is a requirement for girls to go through a horse-crazy phase sometime between 7 and 12.

I'm sure I just lost all my readers by boring them to death. This is why I might not be blogging, folks. It's fun stuff but it doesn't make for a pithy post.

1 comment:

Christian said...

On the contrary, I enjoyed your post very much. Have a good Advent