Thursday, January 24, 2008

"The accused was not sorry..."

Shakespeare's Cobbler just tagged me in a meme. No, I don't know how to say "meme", and yes I do feel like back in first grade when people asked me if I wanted to play with them. I got tagged! I am liked!

Ahem. Anyway. The rules are these:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

"Trio waived his proposal to prosecute on this charge, but obtained authority to attack Piso's previous career. The emperor was then asked to take over the inquiry. The accused was not sorry."

Extra super-bonus points if you can guess what book I quoted. (Here's a hint: The bonus question is heavily weighted in favor of Durnhelm.)

I tag:
Durnhelm
Rebekah
Christian
A. Lynch
and
Shakespeare's Cobbler
(Yes I was one of those obnoxious kids who did tagbacks. Plus I only know five people with blogs.)

8 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Would that be from Plutarch's Parallel Lives? Something else by him? Or is it Tacitus? I'm wracking my brain on Roman historians. Or is this Herodotus' The Histories?

Dernhelm said...

Okay, not only is it scary enough that I know what book this is from, but before I ever read it, I picked up my nearest book and looked up my three sentences...only to find when I continued reading your blog that they were EXACTLY the same three sentences you just wrote!!! Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome. Penguin Classics, translated by Michael Grant. Am I correct? Lol. We are too much alike, you know? I mean, being similar is one thing, but this was just scary! ;D

Dernhelm said...

Oh, and I would love to follow along with the game, but as I ended up with the same sentences, I find it rather trivial. In addition, I only know two people on blogger... you Franciscan people have this budding little social group on here, huh? Lol.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I wonder why I forgot to mention the Annals, given I don't know what aelse Tacitus wrote? Oh well, it's obvious who knows the material better. 8^)

Christian said...

As a state employee I'm not allowed to read (kidding!). I'm at work so you'll have to wait for my reply.

Christian said...

"If it were possible to eliminate all of this nearly empty space and pack nothing but nuclei into a sphere the size of a period on this page, that sphere could, for some elements, weigh as much as a million tons!
"When protons and neutrons were discovered, scientists concluded that these relatively massive particles make up the nucleus of the atom. In Rutherford's time, it was natueral to wonder what electrons did in the vast open space they occupied."

Goren said...

"Would that be from Plutarch's"

Plutarch!! WOW there is a nighmare from my college days which are long past thank God lol.

Goren:)

Anonymous said...

Main Entry: meme
Pronunciation: \ˈmēm\
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
Date: 1976
: an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture

D.