Monday, May 19, 2008

Growing Up

Today one of my good friends turned 20 (yes, it is a big week for birthdays in my little circle) and it's put me in a bit of a pensive mood. I can't help but remember the first day we all were together, at a party at Durnhelm's house. At the time, I was struck by the symmetry of our ages: 18, 17, 16, 16, 15, and 14. (It was sometime in late 2004, and must have been after November, because I was the 15...either that or I just rounded up, as I am the only one who doesn't have a spring/summer birthday.)

We were a bunch of Catholic, homeschooled, teenage girls, forming a little band of sisters against a world in which the stereotype of a teenage girl was not one we wanted to emulate. Now, though, five of us have graduated, three have entered their twenties (and Durnhelm will, soon enough). In a little more than two years we will be a bunch of Catholic, formerly homeschooled, twenty-something young women. Who knows what our little band will look like then. Two of us started dating this spring, and goodness knows that adds something to the dynamic--at least, I sincerely hope it adds something. It goes against the grain to think that Scott or the other guy (who is, by all accounts, a wonderful young Catholic man, although I've never met him to form an impression of my own) could take away from what makes us what we are. After all, they defy convention as much as we do. I know that Scott, for one, is about as far from the stereotypical 18-year-old boy as it is possible to be. I've a feeling that these men of ours will only help bring out that quality that drew the six of us together in the first place--that quality of not conforming to the standard the world has set for us, but rather allowing ourselves to be transformed by the grace of God.

No comments: