Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Scott in Context

Given that title, you might think I'm about to post a random Scott-quote and then explain how we got on such a topic, but in fact I am not. Instead I am going to tell you about the afternoon I had with him and his family.

First of all: The drive was horrid. According to my mother I actually got excellent traffic. Uh-huh. My first words to Scott after "Hello" were "I hope you appreciate what I just did". He was appropriately appreciative and I did not need to get cranky, which is good because cranky isn't quite the way to start off an afternoon with your boyfriend's family.

Almost immediately after walking in the door I got to meet Scott's 13-year-old brother, who was probably curious because he's never seen me before. (He was out of town with their dad the last time I visited.) The rest of the family (except Scott's dad, who was at work), quickly gathered to say hello. Then Scott's mom left on an errand, putting Scott in charge. Scott promptly delegated authority to his 16-year-old brother so that he and I could sit and read Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin and Hobbes Dates are a bit different when you have someone's 4 younger siblings continually coming through the room and occasionally draping themselves over the arm of the couch so that they can read too.

After that, if memory serves, was when Scott and I went out to the backyard so as to talk quietly for a little while. That we did, and it was quite lovely. Then, as we're standing there having our little romantic moment (we would have sat, but it had rained a little and the chairs were wet), his 8-year-old sister comes bounding out shouting "Trampoline!" and then asks "What?" when we both start laughing. So after that 8-year-old sister (who henceforth is merely "Scott's sister") and 11-year-old brother were both showing me all the cool things they have in their yard, including a giant sandbox which provided fodder for a discussion about the inherent differences between boys and girls (boys tend to play Castle and Army in sandboxes, girls tend to play Desert Village, which is just a variety of House).

Then Scott's sister decided it was time to dispense affection, so she gave me a hug and then gave her brothers hugs and kisses. The look on 11-year-old brother's face was absolutely priceless.

It soon began to rain again, so we all went inside and then everybody decided it was snacktime so we all sat around munching for a while and then started on a game of Apples to Apples. At about the time when people were starting to get impatient for the game to end, Ambrose (of Three Anachronisms fame) arrived and took over Scott's sister's cards. When you're only 8 it's hard to play a game that relies partially on references to popular culture. In fact, considering that no one in the room was even born when Reagan was in the White House, most of the popular figures got a puzzled look and a short trip to the discard pile.

By the time Scott finally won, their dad had come home and dinner was ready, so we cleaned up the game and then all sat down around the table, said grace, and proceeded to eat. Ambrose had already eaten dinner at his house, but when you're a teenage boy such small details do not hinder you from enjoying dinner.

After dinner Scott, Ambrose, and 16-year-old started a deep discussion of videogames to which I listened with amused uncomprehension. Then we ate ice cream and discussed videogames some more. After a bit I mentioned that I was going to have to leave shortly so Scott and I went and sat on the couch again. We didn't have time for more Calvin and Hobbes so we just sat. Scott's sister came and joined us, which perhaps might have annoyed me in other circumstances but in these just seemed right. I rather like Scott's sister. She and the youngest brother are both still small enough to set off my cute reflex; make me think, In fifteen years we might have a couple of kids like these. It's pretty much impossible to get annoyed with someone who's that cute.

Altogether, the only unpleasant part of the afternoon was when I had to leave.

No comments: