Thursday, July 17, 2008

Domestic Conquest Continues

I think that blogging break I took last month must have worked...I looked at the date on my last post and was shocked that it has been almost a week since then. Before, if I went more than two days or so without a post I would start writing one in my head just to "fill the gap".

But I digress. Today, dear readers, you get a special treat: Pictures of dirt.

A few days ago Mom offered me $5 to vacuum the hallway. Now, for five bucks you can't just run the vacuum down the middle and call it done. You have to be thorough. My mother suggested getting some of the dust off the vent that runs along one side of the hall.

A few minutes later, I came downstairs and said, "Mom, I need a screwdriver."

(Things get interesting whenever you mix screwdrivers with common household chores.)

"Why?" Mom asked.

So I could do this:




















I don't think anybody had unscrewed the vent in a long time, given the fact that there was a thick coating of dust on the threads of the screws.

Exhibit B: The screws and the dust I pulled off them.




















And, because all that wasn't fun enough, a close-up of the innards of our house's ventilation system:




















In related news, Project Domestic Conquest has in general been going well. I've cooked dinner several times, cleaned floors, scrubbed bathrooms, and otherwise done domestic things. I've even broken new ground and started helping Mom make the weekly grocery list. I think I do a pretty good job, too, except that I get sick of list-making after about half an hour and need to take a break. Perhaps this is the sort of thing one builds an immunity to--in a few years I might be able to spend a whole hour at a stretch on the grocery list. Perhaps someday I'll actually be able to stand clothes-shopping for 10 seconds instead of 5 seconds. One day I might even be able to step into Bath & Body Works without feeling like I'm going into anaphylactic shock. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

1 comment:

Kyle R. Cupp said...

I've tagged you for a meme: see my blog for the full story. Or ignore as you see fit.