Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer Reading Challenge

Yesterday I realized that I have less than 6 weeks left in my summer vacation. This has several implications, not the least of which is that I cannot have a rotating collection of about 10 books out from the library while I'm at school. Therefore, I have told myself that I am not allowed to reserve any more books, and other than the 2 I currently have on reserve I can't get any more books at the library (must...resist...new items shelf...)

I've also told myself that I need to get serious and finish at least some of the books I have out so that I'm not halfway through all of them come August 24.

Here are the books currently in my to-read stack:

The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck
Emma, Jane Austen
Brideshead Revisted, Evelyn Waugh
Till We Have Faces, C. S. Lewis
The Idiot, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Black Stallion, Walter Farley
Big Red, Jim Kjelgaard

Here are the two I have on reserve at the library:

The Art of Love, Ovid
Kristen Lavransdatter, Singred Unset

The only two that are low-priority are The Black Stallion and Big Red. I've read The Black Stallion probably 3 or 4 times, the first when I was in second grade. Big Red was a later find--I read it first in middle school, I think, and then again in high school. So I think I'm going to put those at the bottom of the stack, or use them as light reading if I get tired of the other books.

So...7-9 books in just over 6 weeks. Think I can do it?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I believe that you can do it. :) I've read Kristin Lavransdatter two and a half times. It's an excellent book!

Theocentrica said...

of course you can....

If that's the Ovid I remember, it will be singularly unpleasant. X|