Friday, July 25, 2008

To my sister

Today is my sister's birthday. She's 21. I can't say much about the first three years, but I can say something about the seven years of sharing a room (and sometimes a bed; one of us was scared of the dark), five years of fighting like cats, one year of judiciously ignoring each other, and five years of being best friends. Without my sister, I would have been involved in far fewer knock-down drag-outs over whose turn it was to control the remote; but I would also have spent far fewer evenings in the living room, eating pizza and watching chick flicks. So, Sis, on your birthday I would like to say two things.

For all the times you punched me in the face: I deserved it. Let's face it, I was an obnoxious kid.

For all the times you made my life incalculably richer: Thank you.

Happy birthday. I love you.

No comments: