Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Air Fresheners and Bra Ads

A few weeks ago on my other blog I mentioned seeing a car air freshener designed to look like a rosary. It shocked me--how messed up does our culture have to be to use something holy as a commercial gimmick?

When I told the Cobbler about it, he stated simply that it's not as bad as the bra ads you see in some stores.

It took me a few minutes to figure out that he's right. (Though it shouldn't have surprised me--he's almost always right.)

It seems, from what I've osmosed of Theology of the Body (mentally adds to reading list), that there are two purposes to women's bodies being as they are: To nuture their children, and to give pleasure to their husbands. Remind me later to discuss the connection between the procreative and unitive aspects of marriage (right after I actually read TotB).

If anything a woman's body is even holier than a rosary. We are fashioned by God to serve a particular role within the sacrament of marriage. Rosaries, for all their goodness, are only a sacramental, not holy in themselves.

Ads involving scantily-clad women are essentially taking something holy and using it as a commercial gimmick. Buy our product, not because it is the best, but because we mentally associate it with something that is good. What advertisers (and consumers, for that matter--I'm not going to lay all the blame on the corporations) don't realize is that by taking something holy and profaning it they are damaging our society. More on that in future posts...

Administrative note: COMMENTS OPEN. Thanks to the Cobbler (genius that he is) for pointing out that I hadn't yet turned them on.

1 comment:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ah, at last! I was wondering when I would get to leave comments on your posts. =)