Thursday, September 11, 2008

I hate this

Since I got an email address 4 years ago, I have gotten a particular chain email at least 3 times. It quotes a Bible passage saying that God will be ashamed of whoever is ashamed of Him, and in order to prove that you're not ashamed of God you should forward the email to everyone on your contact list. I got it again last week, from someone I know slightly but not well. Please note that the following post is not meant to be a condemnation of that person for sending it on (some people are good sports, unlike me); just a rant against whoever thought it would be a good idea to get this email started in the first place.

First, I'm going to see if I can make myself not-angry enough to actually respond to this in a logical manner.

*deep breath*

Okay, number one: Since when is forwarding spam a necessity for being a good Christian? Yes, it's Christian-themed spam, but nonetheless it is still spam. I don't forward chain emails. Ever. No matter what the content. The only time I've even come close is with a fill-in-the-blank tell-about-yourself email was going around my friends a while back. I don't at all appreciate emails that demand to be forwarded, and I especially don't appreciate it when they try to browbeat me into forwarding them by saying that it will prove I love God.

Two: Are chain emails really the best way to say, "Hey, I'm a Christian and I'm proud of it"? If you want to get people witnessing to Christ, then send out an email telling them to pray for their enemies or some such thing, not fill up their acquaintances' and business associates' inboxes with garbage.

Ergh. I'm just going to stop thinking about it, but this is the official public service announcement to all of you who read this blog: if you should ever get a chain email and happen to be in a compliant mood, such that you forward it to everyone on your email contact list, I will most certainly not send it back and/or send it to anyone else, and will probably blog about it.

No comments: