Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Interesting

So, dear readers, over the weekend I discovered something.

People who aren't used to getting up in the mornings find it difficult to do so.

Yeah, I know, revelation. Bear in mind that I've been habitually getting up before 7 am since I got my driver's license. (In fact, one of the reasons I got my driver's license as soon as I did [16 years and 2 months of age] was because I got sick of depending on my mom for a ride to daily Mass.) So I can haul myself out of bed at 6 am regardless of how much sleep I got the night before. I'm sure there is some level of sleep-deprivation at which I will sleep through my alarm or fall back asleep after turning it off, but so far I've managed it even on nights where I'm getting less than 5 hours of sleep.

But I digress. The point of this ramble is that when Scott stayed up until 3 am Sunday protesting The World and Its Stupidity, I assumed that he wouldn't have that hard a time getting up at 8:30 the next morning.

The first I heard from him was after I got back from 12:30 Mass. If you calculate it out he really only got about 8 or 9 hours of sleep, which is perfectly average. So I shouldn't have been surprised that he woke up when he did. Most people go to bed, sleep until they're not tired anymore, and then wake up. I go to bed, sleep until dawn, and then wake up and generally can't get back to sleep for at least another 2 hours. (I used to think that I couldn't go back to sleep again until my after-lunch nap, but I've since discovered mid-morning naps.)

Based on these observations I conclude that until I get Scott firmly in the habit of waking up in the mornings, I need to make sure he's also getting to bed before midnight.

1 comment:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Actually, you'll need to first keep me consistently awake in the mornings and against napping despite the resulting tiredness or I may not be tired enough to sleep by midnight. Of course we'll have to see how the training regimen plays into tiredness or non-tiredness.