Saturday, October 25, 2008

God is good

It's not November yet, but I had to come back in order to report to you an amazing thing I just found out.

A few weeks ago, I heard from my household brother (who shall be pseudonymously called Happy because he almost always is) that a young man was taking the Eucharist from Catholic churches, desecrating it in various ways, and posting videos of the desecrations on YouTube.

Happy said that he watched 2 of the videos and couldn't watch any more because he was crying. I never watched any of them, partly because anything that made Happy cry would have reduced me to despondency, and partly because (as my boss pointed out) watching the videos just increases this guy's hit count, puts the video higher on the "recently viewed" list, etc.

Yesterday evening the Servants of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus (my household) and Tantum Ergo Sacramentum (the household to which Happy and the Cobbler, plus various others, belong) hosted a holy hour of reparation for the Eucharistic desecrations. Going by my rough head count, there were probably close to 200 people there. To put that in perspective, Franciscan only has about 2,300 students. So a decent percentage of the student body was spending a Friday night adoring the Eucharist as a way to atone for these desecrations.

The videos were taken down last night.

1 comment:

Erin said...

As a Protestant, I don't have the same feelings as you about the Eucharist (like, theological disagreements)
But I do think it's sacrilege to do that. I'm not sure if I think that it's blasphemy in particular against the Eucharist (because as I said, I don't agree/think it's so special) but the intent was definitely assuredly blasphemy.
That's totally Awesome, Megan! I'm glad that he stopped doing it! =)