Saturday, November 1, 2008

His Precious

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls,
who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and
bought it.*

I think everyone who's been Catholic for any length of time has read an interpretation of this parable wherein we are exhorted to give up our earthly attachments in order to purchase the pearl of great price (I'm sorry, RSV, I just can't say "value"). A few years back I wrote a meditation on that aspect myself. (Maybe I'll post it here someday.) Today, though, I want to propose another way of looking at this parable.

The name Megan means "pearl". I rather liked this when I found out, because I automatically associate the word pearl with the phrase "pearl of great price". It's kind of nice to think that you're precious.

This idea percolated quietly in the back of my mind for a little while before it occured to me that maybe I wasn't going too far afield with my little thought. Would it be theologically incorrect to propose that God is the pearl-merchant and we are the pearls? The merchant sold all he had to buy the pearl; Christ "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave."**

I don't think it could be theogically incorrect to propose that we are the pearl; that we are precious to God, so precious that He would even die for us. Probably no one of my generation can think of the word "precious" without hissing a little at the end, but try for a minute. Or, if you can't, go ahead and think it. Think about the fact that you are God's precious, more deeply and more purely than the Ring was ever Gollum's.

*Matthew 13:45-46
**Philippians 2:6-7

2 comments:

Connie's Daughter said...

Thanks for sharing this! I think you've really hit on something here! I forget sometimes, hearing the same interpretations year after year, that God speaks to us in different ways through Scripture. That is, if we are listening. As you have been.

Galadriel said...

Quite true. But of course, not of anything in us. (=
~Vicki