Friday, November 14, 2008

The Wife of Valor

Last Thursday in Principles of Biblical Studies, we were discussing the book of Proverbs. I'm going to assume all my readers have read Proverbs 31. (If you haven't, why don't you go do that now? Blogs will wait.)

I like it fine, but it never really inspired me. These are the "qualities of a good wife". That's nice. What if I want to be a great wife? What if I want to "be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor the Devil says 'Oh no, she's up!'" (to quote a Piece of Flair on Facebook)

I'm an overachiever. I like a challenge. I don't like just being "good."

So imagine my excitement when the professor got to Proverbs 31 and explained that the Hebrew phrase (eshet hayil) translated as "a good wife" would be more suitably translated as "wife of valor". The adjective hayil is the same used in 2 Samuel for David's 30 Mighty Men. Those mighty men, you know, who did things like killing lions singlehanded. They were pretty impressive fellows.

Now we encounter their female counterpart. What does this mighty woman do? Strap on her husband's armor and ride off into battle? Nope. She gets up early and does chores. (Mighty women get up early. My morning-person self is still smiling over that one.)

It's something I'm going to try to work on, being that woman of valor (even though I'm not married yet). For the last few months I've been feeling the need to figure out how I'm supposed to be battling the Devil, because God has indicated that He doesn't want me actually fighting. Neither does the Cobbler--after all, it's his job to protect me. Yet I've all this desire for valor that doesn't know what to do with itself. Now I pretty much have a blueprint for it.

2 comments:

Galadriel said...

Clap clap clap clap. (:
~Vicki

Becky D. said...

I think sometimes the valor comes not in doing dramatic things but in trusting God and working hard wherever He seems to want you to be. Of course if you want to do chores at dawn I can help with that. I'm also happy the Proverbs 31 translation is a bit weak because I always read it and felt like if that's good I'm rather mediocre.
Mom