Friday, January 23, 2009


I apologize, dear readers, for my lack of posting this week. Tuesday night I worked from 6:00 pm to 2:00 am, which means I didn't get to sleep until after 2:30. Then Wednesday evening I departed on the March for Life. Basically, between waking up Tuesday morning and waking up this morning, I got 14 hours of sleep total. (That's an average of 4 1/2 per night.) I've taken a nap since, and plan on another one as soon as I finish this post.

This was the first time I'd been to Mass in the basilica. It was a gorgeous church; I wish we'd had time for sightseeing beyond looking around while waiting for half an hour in line for the bathroom. I was just going to rhetorically ask you, dear readers, why there is always a line for the girl's bathroom (because guys can't really be that much faster, can they?) when I realized that probably none of the guys were putting on mascara before Mass. Now, I freely admit to not really getting makeup. I'll probably never wear it except to my wedding and my funeral. But I acknowledge that some girls like makeup. Still, there are times when you really do need to just vacate the sink, please, so other people can wash their hands.

After Mass we were left to our own devices for a while; we just needed to be at the Mall by noon and were given Metro tickets and directions. I am apparently the Authority on Riding the Metro. At that point I was travelling with Morgan and 3 of her friends whom I will refer to as the Glee Club. Morgan was on the Metro when she went on the March in 2006, but the other girls had never actually been into DC before. I, meanwhile, had been to DC 3 times in the past 4 years (I'm up to 4 times now; 1 homeschool conference and 3 Marches for Life) so I was the one who navigated the Metro station, figured out which train we needed to be on, made sure everybody got on the train, etc. Basically I mothered the lot of them. Hey, we all made it to the Mall in one piece.

The March for Life was...well, it was a day of standing around listening to people talking, then walking very slowly in stiflingly large crowds. I joked to Ambrose and Mari that it was more like the Shuffle for Life. All this while tired enough to curl up on the nearest bench and fall asleep. (We tease Morgan still because back in '06 she fell asleep on a bench in the Library of Congress.) Yet I've gone 3 times. I have a strange idea of fun.

Oh, by the way, I spent almost the whole afternoon with Ambrose and Mari. Mari popped up next to the Franciscan banner about 1:00, and I followed her when she dashed off to go find Ambrose. So we had sort of a little Three Anachronisms reunion, if you grant that I can be proxy for Scott. It was good. I don't get to see either of them often enough, and I almost never even talk to Ambrose (he has very limited internet access) so I'm glad we were able to find each other--no easy task in a crowd estimated at 150,000. I wasn't able to introduce them to Morgan, unfortunately--I'd lost track of her after I abandoned the banner, and didn't find her and the Glee Club again until after I'd said my goodbyes to Ambrose and Mari and left for the rendezvous point where we were getting on the busses.

Okay, time for my nap.

No comments: