Thursday, January 15, 2009

Name Change

So, I've been blogging at But I Digress... for well over a year now and pondering a name change the whole time. Seriously, there was somebody who had the url I wanted and so I picked a different url that I never really liked, and then after a while I got disillusioned with the name as well, because it didn't give me a focus, and I need some kind of focus, at least so you can poke fun at me when I deviate from it.

Wow, that was a long sentence. Anyway, Garden-Variety Rainbows is a title I came up with years ago, when I noticed that if you spray a hose or set up a sprinkler in your backyard you can get your very own miniature rainbows. I was going to make it the title of a novel but I might not write that novel until I'm 50 so we'll worry about that later.

This blog's focus is pretty simple: Life is beautiful. And when you get down and dig in the dirt, that's when you find God. He came down into the dirt so He would be find-able.

There are two things this blog is not going to be: 1) Deeply reflective. I do not plan on doing posts along the lines of "This happened today and I pondered it and realized that God was telling me __." Deeply reflective stuff goes over at my other blog. 2) Chirpy. In other words, I am not going to be happy and cheerful all the time. I'm a melancholic, it's not how my brain chemistry works. Sometimes you might get more dirt than rainbows.

I have decided that the reason I have a blog is because I don't want to forget this achingly beautiful season my life. Yes, a lot of the things I'll want to remember will be happy, but as far as the sad things go, I'll borrow Aeneas' saying: "One day it will be joy, perhaps, to remember even this."

5 comments:

Connie's Daughter said...

Wow, that was a long sentence.

Maybe The Cobbler is rubbing off on you?!

Em said...

Ahhhh, I LOVE that Aeneid quote! This looks as tho it will be a good blog. I'll put it in my list of ones to keep up on! :)

The Sojourner said...

@Connie's Daughter: You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

The Sojourner said...

Haha.

Connie's Daughter said...

Oh, not at all, not at all! :)