Sunday, February 15, 2009

In Which I Talk About Hair

So if you are one of my male readers who doesn't happen to think my hair is the Most Awesome Stuff Ever, you might want to skip this and come back tomorrow.

On Friday, I was judging skits for the Father Michael Scanlan Scholarship Competition, and I was supposed to dress professionally. I won't even tell you about my little clothes crisis. (Let's just say suits you haven't worn in two years might not still fit...) Immediately after the clothes crisis I had a hair crisis. You see, I don't know how to put my hair up. Even if I did, I don't have any hairpins. Woe. So I went and knocked on the door of my household sister, "Terri", who is a girl. She was not in. So I just scraped my hair into a barrette and trotted off to the JC. (A side note on barrettes: I have really thick hair. Like, really thick. So I have to use monster barrettes just to get the front bits pulled back. I don't understand girls who can hold their hair back with itty-bitty little clips.)

When I got there, 3 of the 4 girls present just had their hair down. My barrette was half-slipping just from the trot down to the JC, so I decided, "Hair down==professional" and took the blasted thing out. I had a brief misgiving over the fact that the other girls all had nice little shoulder-length 'dos that looked like they actually did something with them, whereas I just have a wild-pony mane going halfway down my back. At that point, though, I figured I was going to just stop worrying about looking professional. (Nobody kicked me out or anything, so I couldn't have looked that bad in my nice sweater and wild-pony hair.)

Afterwards, I went to dinner, and one of my household sisters complemented me on my hair looking pretty.

Yesterday, I was feeling lazy for whatever reason and scraping my hair into a ponytail was just too much effort, so I ran a brush through it and called it done. At Lord's Day I had another household sister mention how pretty my hair looked.

Conclusion: My hair looks prettiest when I do absolutely nothing with it.

Life is full of little ironies.

4 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I don't know where the common conception that looking "good" involved looking "done up" came from, but it's generally just not true. Take makeup for another example: it's best when it's too subtle for us guys to tell that it's even there (how that can be rather than simply being that the face is better without makeup period, I don't know, but I ought to give some credence to those girls who claim a little is just right).

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

(Note: "us guys" are referenced there only because I don't know whether girls can detect trace amounts of makeup no matter how much and didn't want to say "so little most people can't tell it's even there" and have that, because half of most people are girls, translate to none anyway.)

The Sojourner said...

I can often tell when girls are wearing only a little makeup, but then again it's entirely possible that thousands of them wander around wearing even less and I never notice.

Theocentrica said...

I only put up my hair sometimes because it can be alarming when I leave it down...