Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Perspective

I explained my purpose, something about tragic heroes and papers and secondary sources. The librarian took me over to the research terminal, sat down, and then turned and said, "I have one question. When is this paper due?"

"Later this week," I mumbled vaguely, shy of admitting that I'd started working on a paper all of 4 days before it was due. (Friday, and I started yesterday.)

"Oh good," she said, explaining how dreadful it is when students come the night before the paper is due and she can't find anything for them.

One of these days I'm going to figure out that not everybody likes to start papers a week before they're due.

1 comment:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I think all teachers should have a mandatory due date for rough drafts; I, for one, work easier when I know it _has_ to be done _now_, but I don't like sometimes misestimating that and not having time to finish (doesn't usually happen, hence my being for a long time a straight-A student, but nowadays happens just often enough to drive me up the wall).