Sunday, April 5, 2009

True love

"I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?"
"Well...you were dead."
"Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while."

Although I love The Princess Bride, I must admit that I've sometimes fallen victim to thinking Buttercup a rather weak heroine. Poor Westley has to do all the work.

Yesterday, at a FoP, I just realized that I'm not too unlike Buttercup myself. I give up on waiting, I get scared and mess things up, and I'm driven to despair at times.

Poor Jesus has to do all the work.

I wonder if, when He showed up in the Cenacle, He asked any of His disciples why they had stopped believing in Him. I wonder if any of them replied, "Well...you were dead."

While I know in my head that Jesus has conquered death, sometimes I don't live like I know that. Sometimes I live like I think He got murdered by pirates and is never coming back. Then one day He just about tackles my soul and I lay there stunned, breathless, and exquisitely happy, and He says, smiling, I told you I would always come for you.

7 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

What I always wonder is why she doesn't reply, "I did, I didn't ask that [insert appropriate scummy phrase here] of a prince to try to replace you!"

The Sojourner said...

Yes, that's one area that wasn't really explored--how much of Buttercup's engagement was compulsion (How do you refuse a prince?) and how much was her deciding that since Westley was never coming back she might as well marry somebody.

Em said...

Megan, this is SUCH a great analogy! I will be thinking of it all week now! :D

Thanks for sharing!

Theocentrica said...

Weak heroine, maybe... but sometimes waiting can be the hardest thing on earth to do.
Especially when it looks so hopeless.

The Sojourner said...

Indeed. It's why I've rethought my views of Buttercup.

Theocentrica said...

And so, brothers and sisters, we must keep our goals in mind with the unshakable purpose and insistent perseverance of Inigo Montoya.

Connie's Daughter said...

Ditto to what Dernhelm wrote!