Monday, June 1, 2009

The Great Purge: Intro and Round One

There are two kinds of people in the world: the declutterers and the packrats. I'm a lifelong, diehard packrat. (My mother is a declutterer. It makes life interesting.)

But even I have my limits. Last night, as I was sitting on the floor with my computer on my lap, unable to stretch out my legs properly because the available floorspace isn't that big, and unable to move to the more comfortable position of my desk because it's too covered in junk, I decided that Something Must Be Done. Therefore I introduce to you this year's summer project: The Great Purge. Goal: Getting Rid of Stuff.

Today's assignment was long-sleeved shirts. If you're one of those people who happens to know that I cycle through the same half-dozen shirts, you might be surprised to learn that I had thirty of them. (Yes, thirty. WAY TOO MUCH STUFF, I'm telling you.) I threw away three of them that were in a state of unwearable disrepair and sent eleven to the Goodwill pile. My mom intercepted two of those (What does that say about my fashion sense? I'm not sure if I should be flattered or not.) so only nine actually made it to said pile, but nonetheless fourteen shirts are no longer in my closet.

Round One Score: Megan, 1; Clutter, 0.

No comments: