Monday, September 28, 2009

Ministry to Me

Just recently I started doing Ministry to Moms for a local family who has seven kids: A 12-year-old boy, a 10-year-old boy, an 8-year-old girl, a 6-year-old girl, 3-year-old twins (a boy and a girl), and a 7-month-old girl.

Tonight I went to their house for dinner, and after dinner we were nominally watching Star Wars Episode IV but then the 6-year-old asked me to hold her, so I picked her up and then dangled her upside-down. She liked that. The evening quickly became a sort of gymnastics demonstration. I dangled the 6-year-old and the 3-year-old girl repeatedly. Then 3-year-old girl wanted to ride on my shoulders, so I hefted her up and then bounced up and down for a little while. That was, apparently, the coolest thing ever. So 6-year-old wanted a turn, and then 8-year-old wanted a turn. I found out that I can in fact trot about obediently with a gangly 8-year-old clinging to my head. I am a good pack mule. Then 3-year-old boy wanted a ride, and he felt like nothing after his big sister. Then I declared that rides were over and sat down. All of them heaped on top of me for a while, and all of us laughing. Eventually they got off (mostly) and 6-year-old lay next to me, looked up, and said, "I think we're used to you now."

3 comments:

Becky D. said...

Oh Swwwweeet!

Don't tell the Little Princess though!

Theocentrica said...

XD I was going to say it was sweet, too.
The kids at work are like that, with me. Georgie gets lonely a lot because there are a ton of 5-year-old girls and he's the only 5-year-old boy and doesn't understand why they don't want him, so I said he could stick with me so he does. He's so sweet- little brown-skinned Chinese boy- always helping himself to my food. Last week I got there and heard this little voice down by my knees saying, "Master Mari, did you bring pretzels today, ma'am?"
/end tangent

The Sojourner said...

Aww, Georgie is adorable!