Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Enchanted 15: NaNoWriMo

Although this post was not directly inspired by Just Jen, I felt that it was in the spirit of the Enchanted 15 and thus belonged in that category.

Last year I participated in NaNoWriMo and washed out after about 5,000 words.

Yeah, epic fail.

This year, Rebekah was in Steubenville rather than Spain, so the potential shame of failure was a little more present. Plus, we were able to do some write-ins, and it turns out that racing someone else helps me churn out the words at a prodigious rate. Our second write-in, I produced about 4,500 words in 2.5 hours. I figured that day would stand as my record, but a week later (November 28), I wrote 6,500 words, most of those in the car on the way back from northern Virginia to Steubenville. (The fam and I were visiting my aunt and her family for Thanksgiving.)

Of course, I was not always so prolific. There were some days I only wrote about 300 words. (Basically, I would hammer out a couple of paragraphs and squeeze in an update before midnight, before falling exhausted into bed.) That's what happens sometimes when you're taking 16 credit-hours and working part-time while trying to write a novel in a month.

The real victory wasn't hitting 50,000 words. The real victory was that I wrote. For four weeks, I wrote every single day. That's a huge thing for me. Of course, I then went several weeks without writing anything, but still. It's better than writing for a day and then going several weeks without writing anything.

Speaking of writing, I need to hit publish and go hammer out another few hundred words on a work I'm affectionately referring to as "The Novel That Never Ends."

No comments: