Friday, January 29, 2010

It's like a compulsion

I've been writing my novel again.

I know, school comes first, etc. I write so that my blood won't shrivel, okay? It's hard to do homework with shriveled blood.

Anyway. I've found that the best way to get myself to work on a novel is to set myself some ridiculously low goal--say, 100 words a day. Then I sit down and churn out way more than that. (Blasting my goal to pieces gives me a nice sense of accomplishment.) This happens because most of my "scenes" seem to be about 300-500 words, and you would not believe how hard it is to just stop writing in the middle of a scene. You finish it or it haunts you the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, indulging my desire to write doesn't really lessen it. The story takes hold of me and I want to write more and more until I finish or until my life forces me to pay attention to it.

That is all. I'm off to tend my slightly-neglected homework now.

2 comments:

Becky D. said...

so maybe that's what you were typing so intently on while we were skyping

Em said...

I heard a legend the other day that Vergil supposedly set himself a goal to write only 3 lines a day for the Aeneid. And voila, look at the fruit of that little resolution. :)

I've been in a writing mood again lately too, but I'm not sure into what story I want to pour my creative efforts. *shrug*