Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Comedy of Errors

Just before we left for Michigan (a fact I cleverly avoided mentioning in my last post, which was brought to you courtesy of my uncle's laptop) my mom's computer decided to stop working.

As soon as we got back Dad figured out that it was a problem with our antivirus software and fixed it.

Then he tried to go to work, and his car refused to start.

Then our internet stopped working.

Attempts to...um, I am betraying my abysmal ignorance of cars by not knowing the word, so I'll just describe it. Attempts to start the car by connecting its battery to the van's battery and revving the van were unsuccessful. (Partly because Dad wasn't literal enough when he told me to rev it. I revved and then sat there while the car hacked and wheezed. Dad asked me if I was still revving it. Um, no. If you want me to perform an ongoing action you need to use the present progressive when you instruct me.* But then I revved it and kept revving it and the car wheezed some more but still didn't start.) So now Dad is thinking about replacing the battery (all by himself) and seeing if that helps.

He and the cable helpdesk guy were both unable to figure out what was wrong with the internet, so we were supposed to have a service call on Thursday. But then this morning Dad noticed some cable or other had come loose. So we cancelled our service call and now I'm blogging while the kids run wild.

Dad hasn't found any magical loose cables in the car yet, though. I'm rather worried about that because I am planning on going to visit Scott on Friday and I kind of need the car for that. (Me taking the van isn't really a viable option.)

I wish life would be a little less interesting sometimes.

*The most famous story from my learning-to-drive days dates to my very first lesson. (So, late May of 2005.) Dad told me to "Put your foot on the brake" and then shift to reverse. I shifted to reverse and the car started rolling backwards. Dad: "Is your foot on the brake?!" Me: "YES." Dad: "Put your foot on the brake and PRESS IT DOWN."
The moral being that I'm painfully literal sometimes. Especially, it seems, when doing things involving cars.

No comments: