Thursday, August 5, 2010

I have no idea what this is going to be about

I think I got out of the habit of writing blog posts sometime in the last year or so. I don't think it was my two-month blog break that did it. I was writing very sporadically before that, a post or two a week...once upon a time I had to limit myself to one post a day.

I think maybe I read a few too many "How to make your blog popular" posts. Do this, don't do that, categorize everything, have a THEME and a consistent voice.

My labels have always been a mess, and probably always will be. It will be a long long time before I even think about sorting through the train wreck that is combining two blogs' distinct and only somewhat coherent labeling systems. That's a long way of saying that I'm lousy at categorizing my thoughts, lousy at saying, "Okay, this goes in the X box, and this one goes in the Y box..." I've often said that my brain is just a big room with a huge pile of papers and assorted junk in the middle. Even if I figured out how to install mental file cabinets, I don't think they'd do me any good.

(Ironically, I love alphabetizing stuff. Including books. The whole concept of libraries just thrills me.)

As for themes...The fact that I've had 4 different blog titles in less than three years says something about my ability to settle on a theme. It's like a giant label...I have to look at all the boxes provided for categorizing human thought and pick one that's me.

I'm me. I'm a bit of a mutant freak of nature, but I seem to have friends so I suppose being a mutant freak doesn't doom you.

When I try to be "popular" on the blogging playground, nobody's happy. I feel guilty when I don't write and dissatisfied when I do because I feel hemmed in by my labels. You all are presumably wretched because you are deprived of my brilliance.

I've never really tried to be popular in real life. (Because I'm a misanthrope and perfectly content without friends. :)) Yet I have these friends coming out my ears. Friends by the bushel. So many friends I don't know what to do with them all.

(Reality check: I have about 10 friends.)

So how about I just be me on this blog and see if readers start crawling out of the woodwork? If they don't, I'll still be happy sitting reclusively by myself typing completely random nonsense into the ether.

No comments: