Friday, December 3, 2010
Seven Quick Takes: Sugar highs, zombies, and getting carded
1. I went home for Thanksgiving, which means I've been on a sugar high for the last 8 days or so. (I came back to school on Sunday, but after 4 days of sugar-high you just have to keep feeding it to fend off the eventually-inevitable crash until after finals...) I blame any and all incoherence on the cake. And pie. And drinking 4 or 5 cans of Sierra Mist (natural! now with REAL sugar!!) in the course of a few days when I almost never drink pop normally.
(Well, I do cut my "orange juice" with pop here in the caf, because I hate the syrupy taste of fake orange juice. But somehow that seems different than straight pop.)
2. While there, I got to see the lovely and brilliant Emily. I also got to see Scott, who has posted again, though he claims that his blog is still dead. I had insane amounts of fun with both of them.
3. I bought wine on Tuesday, and got carded. It was very anticlimactic, though.
(I have no idea what I expected, but the checker just looked bored.)
4. I did get carded in a sense once when I was 19 and buying an R-rated movie (for my grandfather for Christmas; something with Mel Gibson in it). That was much more climactic, since I got all confused and couldn't figure out why she wanted to see my ID and almost forgot to pay in my flustered state.
5. I have never bought cigarettes. Or superglue.
6. My mother got carded the other week, buying beer for Dad.
7. There have been several different occasions in the last 6 or 7 years when people have sworn that my mother and I must be sisters, and we're just making up the mother-daughter thing.
Bonus quick take: My mother would probably kill me if I posted a picture of her on the internet to show you how young she looks/how much we look alike. Maybe I'll ask for her baby picture, and I can show you how we literally looked like little clone babies, except her eyes were brown and mine were blue. (Neither of us had hair until we were toddlers.)
Now I must go back to studying for my two finals tomorrow (TWO! FINALS! On a SATURDAY!), so visit Jen for more quick takes.