Sunday, January 30, 2011

This probably makes me a bad Catholic, but I'm keeping it real here


First, a disclaimer: I love Jesus. I have an immense devotion to the Eucharist.

Now, Random Rant of the Day:

Since this is my blog, I am going to say right now that I don't think books about St. Imelda are a good way to encourage devotion to the Eucharist in small children. For those of you not familiar with the story, it goes like this: Little girl begs and pleads to join a convent, and does so at the age of 9. Little nun begs and pleads to receive the Eucharist, and does so at the age of 11. Little communicant immediately drops dead from the pure joy of union with her Lord.

I'll let you read that again, just in case you think you still need me to explain why this isn't a good book to give your 10-year-old daughter. I mean, at least St. Tarcissius got stoned by evil pagan children, and your poor son can comfort himself with the idea that there aren't a great many evil pagan children in suburban Ohio.

I'm sure one of these days St. Imelda will do something amazing and win me over, but for now my devotion to this particular saint is still hindered by the lesson absorbed by my 10-year-old brain, namely, "If you love Jesus you'll die for no apparent reason."

(photo courtesy of Amazon)

2 comments:

Calah said...

I LOVE this post! I've never even heard of St. Imelda (not a cradle Catholic) but I can only imagine the horror with which my children would react! Thanks for the warning.

The Sojourner said...

I'm glad you liked it. :)