Betty Beguiles is inviting people to post today giving 10 facts about them and their significant other. So I am going to procrastinate a bit on my schoolwork.
1. We met on February 8, 2007, during the Fr. Michael Scanlan Scholarship Competition, which means that we were both 17-year-old high school seniors with way too many brains for our own good. I thought he was funny but way too much of a geek. He thought I talked too much. We didn't really keep in touch but we did awkwardly say hello when we saw each other again in August.
2. Our first date was on April 7, 2008. We made a holy hour together in the Port.
A few months later I wrote a very long account of how we got from 1 to 2. Maybe one of these days I'll post it.
3. He told me "I love you" on April 8. I didn't say it back until April 12. (I know, I need to speed it up a bit, waiting to say I love you until 5 days after the first date.)
4. Neither of us had ever been in a relationship before. From the beginning we were dead serious about the fact that we were discerning marriage; if we had wanted to just hang out and have fun together we could have done that without calling it dating.
5. However, our idea of discerning marriage mostly involved reading Calvin and Hobbes. You can tell a lot about a potential life partner from their comic book preferences. :)
6. We have two "our songs": This and this.
7. During the summer of 2008 we started writing each other love letters (at his suggestion). That came in handy when we had to go long-distance starting that October.
8. We are uncannily alike in a lot of ways and agree on almost everything, from the biggies (religion, for instance) to the little things (we both love Calvin and Hobbes. :)).
9. However, we do sometimes fight, contrary to popular opinion. We're both pretty stubborn in our own way so it's been a bit of a learning process figuring out how to resolve a disagreement amicably on the rare occasions when we do disagree.
10. Next Wednesday will be the third anniversary of when we officially became a couple. I know, dating anniversaries don't mean much and blah blah blah. I'm still proud of us for how far we've come as people and as a couple these last three years.