Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mass with a four-year-old

[You have to imagine the adults in this story whispering and Teresa speaking in a normal conversational tone.]

Fr. D: "...for Benedict our Pope..."

T: "Where's Pope Benedict?!"

Dad: "Not here."

T: "Oh, right. He's taking care of baby Jesus, right?"

Dad: "Baby Jesus grew up."

T: "Oh yeah. And died and went to Heaven."

[Earlier this week it would have been my grandfather's 76th birthday; I showed T a picture not expecting her to recognize him and she immediately said, "Dat's my gwampa and he died in Heaven."]

Me: "Teresa, look, what's Fr. Dan doing?"

T: "He's feedin' dem. He puts dat cookie on der hand, like dis. I bet dat cookie tastes good."

Me: "Mmmhmm. Can you whisper?"

T: "When I older I get a cookie. It tastes like bread...It's like bread on the inside, right?"

Me: "Umm...something like that." [Sorry, but I'm not explaining Transubstantiation to a chatty four-year-old.]

T: "And I'm am gonna get one when I a big girl."

Mom: "Big girls are quiet in Church."

No comments: