Saturday, April 16, 2011

Five Minute Friday (a day late): Distance


I saw this over at Elizabeth Foss and had to join in because...well, because distance is such a part of my life right now.

I started dating Scott in April of 2008, as you all know if you read my post a few weeks ago. A month later we went home for summer vacation, and I had no idea what was going to happen to us.

What happened was that he called, almost every day. After he got a second-shift job he called at 11:30 p.m. and I got out of bed and went and sat on the floor of the garage in my pajamas and talked in privacy until 1 a.m. some nights. And I'm a morning person.

Then we went back to school, and for a little over two months we didn't have to worry about distance. He still kept me up well past my bedtime; we were often busy until 9 so we would meet up then and talk until midnight. And I would get up at 6 a.m. There wasn't a lot of sleep in the first 7 months of loving Scott.

Then he left. I remember one day a month or so after he left, telling one of my household sisters about it, and she asked, "So...are you still together?"

Yes, we were still together. Apart, but together. "Next semester" turned into "next year" turned into "not for the foreseeable future" and 2 1/2 years later here we are, me almost graduated, almost ready to go back to be near him again.

To be together in both senses of the word.

Five minute Friday hosted by Gypsy Mama.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Just stopping in for Five Minute Friday to say hi! Your post is encouraging - love endures all things! Be blessed in your journey. Your life is safely in God's hands <3

The Sojourner said...

Thanks. :)