Friday, April 29, 2011

Seven Quick Takes: Some people in England are getting married? and random updates on my life

1. I started writing a post on the rest of my Triduum. Hopefully I'll finish it and get it up tomorrow, but we'll see.

2. I've tried really hard to figure out why I should care that Prince William and Kate Middleton are getting married today. And I can't think of any reasons. So I don't. Sorry, I am cold and heartless like that. I wish them less dysfunction than other royal couples.

3. My uncle invited me to join a family tree site the other day. Now THAT is exciting to me. I spent quite a while on there this morning putting in various bits of information about my immediate family. (And putting in my uncles' birthdays...they weren't going to get away with not telling the site how old they are.) (57 and 51, respectively. My mom is their baby sister.)

Uncle #1 says that he's working on getting all our ancestors up. So far it goes to my great-great grandparents.

4. I need to figure out a way to make a similar page for my novel characters. I've been wanting a decent way to make family trees for years, but I hesitate to use legitimate genealogy sites for my fiction. Don't want to confuse anybody. Maybe I'll make Scott write me a program for that.

5. Scott is now working full-time and taking three night classes. I am rather put out that I can't Skype with him all day long anymore. Of course, I'm also intensely proud of him for being willing to work so hard. And it's less than three weeks until I'm home and can visit him more often.

6. Graduation is in 15 days. I turned in my thesis on Tuesday and picked up my cap and gown on Wednesday. I do not have a job yet.

7. Then again, my parents are in the initial phases of a private domestic adoption (and by initial phases I mean lots and lots of paperwork) so they might want me at home and jobless so I can hold down the fort when they decide to hop on a plane and fly across the country to go get a baby. Any of you readers who didn't know about this already can pray for my hypothetical baby sibling, who's probably conceived already somewhere out there.

Visit Jen for more Quick Takes.

2 comments:

Melanie B said...

re #4. I found this family tree software that's downloadable for free. Since it's software that sits on your computer rather than a site, it should be good for plotting fictional families. I'm pretty sure this is the one my uncle uses to track our family's genealogy.

The Sojourner said...

Oh, this could be fun. :)