Friday, July 8, 2011

Seven Quick Takes mostly about babies




1. Scott had a week off school recently (his school has really weird terms) and during that week, since he got home from work at 5 rather than getting home from night class at 10, I would talk to him for a couple hours after dinner and then go to bed at 10 or 10:30. I would wake up at 7 or 7:30 well-rested, cheerful, and ready to take on the day.

Well, now he's back to school two nights a week and I'm getting into serious wedding planning (about which more in another post) so I want to talk to him about stuff but on school nights have to do so from about 10:15 to 11:45. This is less than ideal for two reasons: 1) My brain is already starting to shut down by the time he gets home. 2) I spend most days dragging around tiredly because I need 9 hours of sleep per night but am incapable of sleeping past 8.

Being an incorrigible morning person is rough.

2. Teresa has lately taken up the habit of saying "Bless me!" in this cheerful little voice every time she sneezes. It's adorable.

3. The other day, Dad and Teresa were looking at old photos and Dad said that the events depicted took place before Teresa was born. So she said, "Was I inside my first mommy's tummy?" Dad: "No, this was before that." Teresa: "Do babies crawl up inside their mommies' tummies?" Dad: "Um, no." Teresa: "Then how do they get there?"

Dad said he wasn't really expecting having to discuss the birds and the bees with a four-year-old. He did a pretty decent job, though.

4. I have a babysitting job tonight for my former youth group director. She has three children: boys aged 6 and 4 and a 2-year-old girl. She also has a fourth due in November, but I'm not babysitting him/her. Anyway, I anticipate having fun. (Hopefully I won't have to explain the birds and the bees to the 4-year-old. :))

5. Then tomorrow I'm babysitting Teresa while Mom and Dad go to a homeschool conference. Because Mom wants to start kindergarten with Teresa on Monday.

Did you catch that? Our BABY is starting kindergarten! (Granted, this is "practice kindergarten" since she won't even be 5 until October, but still! Maybe she'll actually do it all and then be in first grade next year!)

6. Speaking of babies, my parents are still working on a private adoption. I'm voting for us to get matched with a baby born in August, partly because then we'd have June-July-August-September-October-November birthdays, and partly because then the baby wouldn't be a teensy-tiny newborn for my wedding. But mostly I want the birthdays to line up; that's more important.

7. Random fact about myself: I don't like excessive use of emoticons, so I tend not to put a smiley after statements that are sarcastic. (Deadpan humor is also my specialty in real life.) So keep that in mind as you read this blog.

Visit Jen for more Quick Takes.

1 comment:

priest's wife said...

about the birds and the bees- Daddy could always say that God put the baby in Mommy to grow- it's true!