Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Archives

I started blogging in November of 2007. I think this is my fourth URL (this fickleness doesn't lend itself to long-term readers), but when I moved over here last year I brought all my archives with me and thus it's as if I've been blogging here for four years and change.

Occasionally I feel self-conscious about that, like maybe somebody will go back and read a post from 2008 in which I was trying (and probably failing) to be all philosophical and they'll assume that my current views on the topic are accurately summarized in that post. This is particularly true when I think about the time I had two blogs, a personal one and a philosophical one. I tried too hard to be philosophical a lot of the time just for the sake of posting and thus put out into the ether a lot of half-baked ideas. And I never followed up on them because at that point in my life I wasn't blogging much at all. (I'm not good at compartmentalization. It might not seem like I blog a lot now, but at least now blogging isn't a total chore wherein I have to be philosophical even when I don't feel like it.) Someday I do want to follow up on those posts, but in the meantime they're still there all un-followed-up-on.

I wonder how other bloggers handle this. I've seen some blogs that cull their archives periodically, presumably so only the best and most well-thought-out posts remain. I've seen people who only have a year or two of archives on their blog. (I assume that they save their old posts for themselves, but maybe not everybody is a digital packrack like me.)

And then I realize that it's probably the height of vanity to think that anybody even reads my archives, and I get off the computer and go do dishes.

1 comment:

Melanie B said...

Sometimes I look back on things I wrote back when and wince. Still, if someone isn't smart enough to realize that life is a journey and that people grow and change... do I really care what they think? You've at least got a veneer of semi-anonymity protecting you from your callow self. On the other hand, one of the things I love about blogging is that it is a part of the learning process. I write to know, to unravel what I think. Writing is thinking. So my blog is a partial record of where I've been and how I got here from there. And I've got six years of that hanging out in public with my name and photo all over the place.

I'm not sure that really answers your question, but I thought I'd throw it out there to say I know what you mean.