Friday, December 30, 2011

Seven Quick Sort-of Christmassy Takes



--- 1 ---

When we were visiting Scott's family last Friday, Younger Elder Brother called and asked if we wanted to come visit with the rest of the family on Monday. (YEB and Mr. Cobbler both had Monday off work.) So we did. It was a lot of fun. It was only the third time I've seen Mrs. YEB, and I didn't really talk to her at the wedding because she had to leave right after the ceremony to sing at the vigil Mass at her parish. (She's a music director type person.) So it was nice to feel like I got to know her a teeny bit more. We're going to see Scott's family again for Eldest Younger Brother's birthday today. It's a lot of visiting, but I've been enjoying it.

--- 2 ---

I finished making that skirt for Teresa and brought it with me when we visited my family in the middle of last week. I put it in a bag under the tree even though she'd seen it already to try it on. Then on Christmas Day I Skyped with my family and asked Teresa if she liked her skirt. She said yeah and then said, "But how did you get it here!?" I must admit, I'm kind of tickled that I still managed to surprise her. :)

--- 3 ---

Last Friday, Scott and I didn't get home from visiting his family until 2 a.m. On Saturday we didn't get back from midnight Mass until 2 a.m. On Monday we didn't get to bed until about 1 a.m. And then I developed a nasty cold because I am allergic to staying up past midnight. I seem to be better now, though.

--- 4 ---

I was considerably less relaxed and happy on Christmas Day than I thought I would be, probably due to the aforementioned staying up until 2 a.m. twice in a row right beforehand. Note to self: Don't do that again. Ever.

I made sausage gravy and biscuits for brunch (I had fudge for breakfast around 9 and then made the real food about 11) and then after brunch went to throw a chicken in the crockpot for dinner. See, last time we made crockpot chicken this totally worked. But on Christmas the chicken had a little paper packet of innards stuffed inside its little ribcage and since it was frozen solid I couldn't get the little packet out no matter what I did. Finally I told Scott that if he ever wanted to eat again he had to make it be fixed. Then I went into the bedroom, shut the door, and sobbed into my pillow for half an hour while he made it be fixed. Then I stuck the chicken in the crockpot with some spices and told Scott to do dishes while I surfed the internet.

You'd think that would convince me I have the best husband ever, but NO. I've spent most of this week grumpy because I always have to ASK him to help with dishes/take out the trash/give me a backrub/do whatever my little heart desires. I kid you not. Despite having read a million times that men are not mind-readers and don't realize you need help unless you ask...I think I am the special-est snowflake and should have a telepathic husband.

I really need to get more sleep.

--- 5 ---

Lest you have now abandoned all hope of me ever being a real grown-up, I went to run errands BY MYSELF this week. TWICE. The first was an emergency toiletry restock before we went on that aforementioned road trip with Scott's family. (The only other thing I'll say about that: This Wal-Mart is the size of Liechtenstein and STILL doesn't have my preferred variety. Amazon Subscribe & Save is looking more appealing all the time.) Then the next day we realized we were on our last roll of toilet paper, so yesterday I went out and stopped by the post office to mail some thank-you notes and then went to Wal-Mart to get a giant package of toilet paper. (It's not like we're ever going to stop using toilet paper, and 20 rolls were the cheapest in terms of unit price.) I still haven't tried shopping for a week's groceries without my security blanket/husband, but I'm getting there.

--- 6 ---

Speaking of grocery shopping, our total spending for December was 199.91. That's including the groceries we bought at the end of November and the $11.37 of groceries we bought using a Kroger gift card we got as a Christmas present. And I still have a TON of food in my kitchen. I was going to list it all but then it got too long of a list. Maybe I'll do a photo post on January 1.

--- 7 ---

Also speaking of groceries, last Friday two weeks ago for dinner I made pizza from scratch and Scott ate it and did not get sick. Scott is, as far as anybody can tell, not actually allergic to anything, but he has a complicated set of weird food sensitivities and if he eats the wrong stuff his body goes all crazy and he can't eat anything but chicken soup until he recovers. And he's got a BMI of 19 on good days, so he doesn't need that kind of stuff going on. (Seriously, once he could eat almost nothing for 2 months and he got visibly thinner, which I didn't think was possible for him. It was Not Okay.)

Obviously, it would be possible for him to just go his entire life without ever eating pizza again, but he's Italian and pizza is good and it was just a major disappointment for him that every brand of pizza he tried had the same result. So I promised that one day I'd make him homemade pizza and we'd see what happened. I felt like this was worth a shot for 2 reasons: 1) I had this primal (irrational) instinct that anything I lovingly prepared with my own two hands would naturally be more healthsome and good than something mass-produced by a stranger. 2) Teresa once broke out in hives after eating a particular brand of takeout pizza (even though she'd eaten homemade pizza and other brands of pizza before; we didn't usually get that brand but that day we happened to have a coupon) and we found out later that that brand tends to cause reactions in people who are allergic to shellfish. (Mom's been keeping her away from shellfish ever since as a precaution. Not that she'd touch shellfish anyway.) So I know it's possible to have an allergic reaction to pizza due to some random trace ingredient.

Lo and behold, I was right. I think I'll have to feed him pizza a couple more times before I feel totally safe, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also, I just guaranteed that I'm going to have to make pizza from scratch on a regular basis until I die. No deciding it's too much work and calling for delivery for me. Oops.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

jen said...

you can buy ready-made pizza dough or make a ton of it and either freeze it or keep it in the fridge.

The Sojourner said...

Since we don't actually know what Scott is allergic to, I'm leery of buying ready-made dough. (Funny how I don't mind making my husband a guinea pig by seeing if he has an allergic reaction to homemade stuff. This is probably due to my magical thinking about how homemade is automatically better for you.) I will definitely have to experiment with mass production, though.

Salome Ellen said...

Housewife tip: If a chicken is still frozen on the inside, run cool-ish tap water in one end and out the other until the ice crystals -- and the little paper packet -- are out. If you are cooking it immediately, this is completely safe!

The Sojourner said...

We used hot water.