Friday, January 20, 2012

Seven Quick Talky Takes



--- 1 ---

I've been stressed out this week. I'm trying to remind myself that I'm still in the adjustment period for my new job, that in a month or so I'll have nailed down a schedule that works for us and won't lie awake at night thinking about everything I have to do.

Of course, then my cynical side says that as soon as I do get adjusted, Scott will get a job and we'll be thrown into confusion again.

--- 2 ---

What's even worse is the awful dreams I've been having when I do fall asleep. Just for example: I had a dream Thursday morning that one of Scott's brothers had died of complications from diabetes. (That brother does have Type 1 diabetes.) Then he turned into a malevolent ghost. Then Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer tried to turn him into a vampire, but of course it didn't work because he was already dead. Then I was driving somewhere and was so distracted by the traumatic occurrences that I misjudged a yellow light and ended up stopping with the front of my car over the white line and there was a cop waiting to go straight and she gave me a ticket for $634,000. (I remember that, but I don't know what the significance of the number is.)

The blend of realistic and NOT realistic things was seriously like my subconscious playing good cop, bad cop with my...conscious.

I spent the rest of the day feeling all out of sorts, mostly because I kept remembering the part of the dream where my brother-in-law was dead. I happened to see him later that day and let me tell you, I have never been more tempted to give someone an awkward spontaneous hug. I refrained, though.

--- 3 ---

Scott and I have a new couch! Well, not "new." It belonged to a family in Scott's old homeschool group; the parents had had it since they were newlyweds.

I'd take a picture of my nice newly-arranged living room, but I'm lazy.

[here imagine that several hours elapse]

Okay, pictures!


This is the couch itself. Scott actually LIKES the upholstery. I...don't. The blanket is on there nominally to cover up the (smallish) holes so nobody sits on stuffing, but actually to keep the pattern from offending mine eyes. Apparently the people who reupholstered it last time are still in business right here in this suburb, so Scott and I will probably see how much that costs. I'm pushing for something involving blue and cream, for reasons you will see momentarily.

Behold, our blue recliner (which we got for free from a friend of a friend) and our cream-colored Poang chair (which we got as a Christmas present from Scott's parents). In this shot, you can also see our floor lamp, which I got as a shower gift from my mom.

In this shot you can see our front door. And my pretty brick wall. I am going to miss that wall when we move. (Which will not be anytime soon; I just know we won't be in a one-bedroom apartment for the rest of our lives.) I have some white bookcases along that wall and they look very pretty against the brick.

Of course, NOTHING in my living room matches anything else. I kind of want some little end tables or something, but since the Poang chair has light wood and the couch has darker wood I have no idea how to pull the room together into something matchy. *despair* How do people do this kind of stuff?

(Answer: They buy all new furniture all at once from the same place, and then their furniture matches. Right? There's not some magic way to make random gifts and freebies go together?)

This is a tiny plastic axe that fell out of the couch when we were moving it. I love it and want to keep it. Is that okay, or do you think somebody is missing their tiny plastic axe? (The youngest child in the family we got the couch from is apparently our age. But I'm 22 and I love the tiny plastic axe; maybe this other 22-year-old does too.)

--- 4 ---

Funny conversations with my elder babysitting charge:

"Do you have any kids?"
"Nope. Not yet, anyway."
"Are you married?"
"Yes, but I've only been married a couple of months."
"Oh. A couple of months is not long enough to have a baby."

"My dad was a missionary before he had a family. One time he did a stupid thing and went up a volcano."
"He doesn't recommend that?"
"No. Fortunately, it was dormant."

--- 5 ---

When I first started babysitting I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that the little boy doesn't talk (he's a little less than a year and a half old). I haven't babysat anyone under 2 in a year, and the 2 2-year-olds I've babysat were both girls, who allegedly talk earlier than boys. (I babysat one of them starting when she was 1, but that was a long time ago.)

I'm starting to get the hang of communicating with the little guy, though. Mostly he just points and babbles but he does use a few meaningful words. For example:

"Woo-woo": Literal meaning: Train. Broader meaning #1: Anything with wheels (trucks, motorcycles, you get the picture). Broader meaning #2: The television. (His favorite show is Thomas the Tank Engine, but if he points to the TV and says "Woo-woo" he'll be perfectly content with Word World or some other non-train show.) (No, I don't turn on the TV every time he asks.)

"UH-uh!": Literal meaning: Uh-oh. Broader meaning: "Hey, you, my ball went under the desk again. Get it out." (It's hilarious the TONE he uses when this happens. It goes from genuine distress to imperiousness real quick.)

--- 6 ---

Scott made a pork roast all by himself this week. Because of work, I wasn't going to be home in time to put it in the crockpot myself. So I left him painfully detailed instructions along with a recipe and he did very well. Of course, my first comment was "Oh, I just remembered I usually halve the pepper." Yes, I'm really fun to live with.

At some point, I want to do some more detailed food posts/recipes, mostly just for my own reference. I guess we'll see if that ever pans out.

--- 7 ---

The other day, Eldest Younger Brother and Scott were annoying me by doing that thing where they stand around talking FOREVER. This usually only annoys me when I have places to be and they are slowing me down. Anyway, leaving aside who's in the right here, a funny conversation:

Me, irritated: "You are some of the talkingest boys I know!"

EYB, not particularly irritated: "Well ... you talk less than most girls I know."

Me, cheerful: "Thank you!"

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

6 comments:

The Jammie Girl said...

We've been married 25 years and our furniture still doesn't match. I'm suspicious of anyone who does have matching furniture - like they actually live elsewhere and just keep the "nice, matchy" house for when people come over. It makes me feel better ;)

Theocentrica said...

Gimli called. He wants his ax back.

The Sojourner said...

Jammie Girl: My parents have been married for almost 26 years and lived in their current house for almost 8, and I think my mom is only just starting to get things the way she wants them. (They've done two bathroom remodels and just recently got new furniture for the living room.) It didn't help, I'm sure, that we were rearranging bedrooms every 6 months or so for a while because of foster kids and me being back and forth from college and such. (Now they're done with fostering and adopting and have three kids in a four-bedroom house, so I think the next thing on the neverending list is lots of new bedroom stuff for everybody.)

The Sojourner said...

The "two bathroom remodels" in my comment refers to remodeling two separate bathrooms (of the two and a half they have), not to remodeling the same bathroom twice. Just so everybody's clear.

Liza Jane said...

Transitioning to a new job is rather difficult. It's ok, you'll wake up one day and realize it's become natural to you... you'll still wish you could stay in bed.

And yes, when Scott gets a job you will be thrown into confusion... oh well.

I recommend B vitamins if you're tired and/or having nightmares. I don't know if that's just coincidence, but the B vitamins have been helping me a LOT (you don't have to have the nasty chew-ables like I have, though)

I can't think of anything more pertinent to say except for the fact that I liked the basic layout of your content.

The Sojourner said...

Liza: One of my friends (actually, Theocentrica, above) told me that for the first month new jobs are tiring and after that they're just tiresome.

Pardon my incomprehension, but basic layout of what content?