Friday, February 3, 2012

Seven Quick Takes at the beginning of February



--- 1 ---

Last week, Scott convinced me that I was allowed to buy a new Sims disc rather than moping around being all, "Stop playing your stupid Dwarf Fortress game; you're not allowed to enjoy video games while I'm all forlorn and Simless."

I have actually managed to not spend every waking, non-working hour playing Sims. I have played a fair bit, though, cycling through a couple of families in my Prosperity Challenge neighborhood. Someday I might even update my Prosperity Challenge blog. You never know.

--- 2 ---

As some of you might recall, I am writing a novel. Or two or three. Anyway, as of Tuesday I officially wrote something every day for the entire month of January. (This is the first time I've done such a thing without something like NaNoWriMo triggering my competitive side.)

Relatedly, sometimes writing a novel feels like waiting for one of Zeno's arrows to shoot me in the head.

(No, I am not providing a link to explain that. Either you get it and it's funny or you don't and it's not.)

(P.S. Is paradoxes a real word? I don't trust Wikipedia.)

--- 3 ---

On Wednesday I got gas on my way to work. Yesterday I stopped by Aldi and grabbed some groceries on my way home from work so I could make chicken noodle soup for dinner because Scott and I were both tired of eating random combinations of chicken, rice, cheese, and bread. (Both trips inspired by my stubbornness in sticking to a self-imposed, largely hypothetical monthly budget, even when I have an eighth of a tank of gas and no vegetables.)

It is ridiculous how self-congratulatory I feel about this sort of stuff. When/if I have children, it will be even worse, mark my words. I'll blog nothing but, "I kept the baby alive AND brushed my hair today! WHERE IS MY MEDAL?"

--- 4 ---

Earlier this week, Scott and I were discussing his birthday. This might seem unreasonable to those of you who know his birthday is in the latter half of June. Then again, bear in mind that the last few years I've averaged getting him his birthday present in September, so maybe four and a half months is only just enough lead time for me.

He said he wants rainbow sherbet. (It comes in 5-quart, $5 bins at Aldi just like the chocolate swirl ice cream we're fond of getting.) Then he further pointed out that he wants rainbow sherbet in general but since I haven't gotten it for him yet he's resigned to not getting it except as a special birthday treat.

So I explained.

"But I don't LIKE rainbow sherbet, so we'd have to get regular ice cream too, and then you'd want to eat some of the regular ice cream because why should you be punished for not being picky, but then I'd get mad at you for eating 'my' ice cream, and...It's just better not to buy it."

Aren't you jealous of him for getting to live with me?

--- 5 ---

I started two new sewing projects last weekend while waiting for my Sims disc to arrive. I had to start two because I have only a medium-sized piece of a particular fabric left and I wanted to use it in both projects. Fortunately, I managed to fit all the pieces onto the bit of fabric quite neatly.

The projects have been stalled the last few days, but I choose to think that it's because I was at work for a lot of the last few days, not because Sims are much more interesting than sewing.

(One of the two things is for my older sister's birthday, in late July. You may begin taking bets as to whether I will finish in time. My last sewing project took 7 months, so I'm not optimistic.)

--- 6 ---

Our apartment has a thoroughly useless little balcony. I say thoroughly useless because the balcony is just big enough to fit a couple of chairs, and if you were sitting in the chairs you'd be staring directly over the railing to the parking lot about 20 feet below.

Have I ever mentioned that I really dislike heights?

Anyway, I said when we first moved here that if we stayed here until summer I was going to put vegetables in pots on the balcony.

Now it is unseasonably warm February, and I am already saving milk jugs to use as DIY vegetable planters. Stay tuned to watch me kill things with benign neglect. (I have killed ZUCCHINI. People should pay me to come kill their overgrown plants for them.)

--- 7 ---

I promise I am not actually a domestic goddess, with all this sewing and gardening. Really. I did a load of laundry on Tuesday and it was still in the hamper this morning. Now about a third of it is in the hamper, about a third of it is on the bed, and about a third is actually put away. It's like that because I had to dump part of it on the bed to find clothes to wear today, and then decided to put the rest away, but got bored and wandered off partway through.

Just keepin' it real.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary! Betty Beguiles!

1 comment:

jen said...

#3: *hands you a nice gold star* My kid is almost 3 and I still have days like that. The funniest part: his Easter Seal therapists notice and comment when I get a new pair of pajama bottoms.