Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bacon

My family has a longstanding tradition of cooking green beans in bacon. If you are familiar with this, no explanation is necessary. If you aren't, no explanation is possible. Just trust me that it's awesome.

Well, this past weekend Scott and I were visiting my family and one of the things on the menu was green beans with bacon. Teresa was picking at her green beans (she never eats much when she's excited), leaving all of the bacon behind, and Scott was trying to convince her that she should eat the bacon because it's awesome.

So Teresa told him that she doesn't like that bacon because it's not crispy enough. She likes bacon when it's cooked by itself in long, crispy pieces.

That's a paraphrase, but her actual explanation was pretty close to that. (With hand gestures substituting for the adjective "long.") It probably shouldn't shock me that a 5-year-old is capable of making and articulating that kind of fine distinction, but it does. Maybe because I remember when she was a 19-month-old who didn't speak. (Seriously, she used MAYBE 1 or 2 words in a meaningful way at that point, and those rarely.)

I guess I'm sometimes surprised by how much she's grown after all.

1 comment:

Scott said...

"If you are familiar with this, no explanation is necessary. If you aren't, no explanation is possible."
If you aren't familiar with it, no explanation is necessary either. How could cooking bacon with one's vegetables not make said vegetables better?