Thursday, March 1, 2012

Leap Day 2012

Since I did this four years ago, I thought I'd do it again. Plus I haven't done a day in the life post in a while.

7:50 a.m.: Get up. Decide that being conscious and upright is too much work.

7:51-8:06 a.m.: Lie in bed WIDE AWAKE. Think grumpy thoughts about dairy farmer genes.

8:07: Check email and Facebook. Read a Right to Life group's profiles of various candidates. (Did you know you had to vote for more than presidential candidates in a primary election? Me neither!) Despair for a while. Fall in love with one of the candidates for state representative. Be slightly more optimistic.

8:33: Think about how liveblogging politics even in such an oblique way is going to cause everyone I know to hate me for the next 8 months.

8:34: Go eat breakfast. (Strawberry oatmeal and a couple boiled eggs.) Read a few pages of my current book while eating. (I'm working through my contemporary Christian fiction collection and sometimes it's...slow going.)

9:00: Start doing dishes.

9:51-9:53: Take a bathroom break. Use the last of the toilet paper. Get a spare roll out from under the sink and change out the empty roll for the full one. Notice that now there aren't any spares under the sink. Get 3 more out of the hall closet and put them under the sink. Feel very smug about my selfless dedication to the cause of nobody getting stuck in the bathroom without toilet paper.

(And by selfless I mean about 60% for my own benefit and about 40% for someone else's benefit.)

9:53-10:00: Finish the dishes.

10:00-10:35: Surf the internet, work on a post for my Sims blog.

10:35-11:45: Take a nap.

11:45-11:55: Get ready for the day. (Yes, I routinely stay in my pajamas till around noon. Be jealous of the unemployed.)

11:55-12:25: Surf the internet and work on the blog post some more, since nobody wants to eat lunch right after getting ready for the day. Then your chicken soup tastes like Listerine.

12:25-12:45: Eat lunch (leftover homemade chicken noodle soup and a glass of milk).

12:45-1:15: More internet.

1:15-3:45: Sims. In my defense, a bit of that was load time during which I read a few more pages of my Really Annoying Book.

3:45-4:00: INTERNET FOREVER!

4:00-4:30: Halfheartedly work on some wedding thank-you notes. (YES, WE STILL HAVE SOME. *dies*)

4:30-5:30: Start dinner (chicken parmesan). Be thankful to my Tuesday-morning self for getting the chicken out to thaw. Cook dinner while taking occasional breaks for internet.

(Note to self: Putting the water on to boil and then starting the chicken works about right, timing-wise.)

5:30-6:00: Eat dinner

6:00-6:30: Get ready to go out the door, which takes a surprisingly long time

6:30-9:30: Go to the meeting of the local Chesterton Society with Scott. Have a surprising amount of fun.

9:30: Whine "Come pray with me so I can sleeeeeep."

9:30-10:00: Pray a rosary with Scott, because that is our Lenten resolution (one of them, anyway) and we can't fail one week into Lent.

10:00-10:30: Get ready for bed.

10:30: SLEEEEEEP.

Can you believe this is what it looks like when I try to cut down on recreational internet use? Yeah, I'm pitiful. In my defense, I tend to alternate "productive days" and "lazy days" and Tuesday was pretty productive. I cleaned stuff.

Things that have changed since last Leap Day:

I know how to spell privileged.

I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is not actually worth reading. (I can't remember when I read it but I did read it all the way through at one point. And then I saw the movie, which is even more pointless.)

I also know how to spell psychologically. (From the comments.) Man, I was a bad speller back then.

My relationship with Scott is also very different. Obviously. On March 1, 2008, I realized that I wanted to marry him. (Which was kind of awkward given that he was all, "Yeah, we're NEVER getting married. That would be a bad idea.") On April 6, 2008, we started dating. (He changed his mind. Or God changed his mind for him.) Sometime in September of 2008 we started seriously talking about getting married. (We talked about getting married even before we were dating, but not in terms of specifics. I believe in September 2008 we thought summer of 2011 seemed like a good time.) On June 12, 2011 we got officially engaged. On November 26, 2011 we got married, missing our initial ideal timeframe by a few months. (Which isn't bad considering how many unexpected obstacles got in our way in the intervening 3 years.)

(Something that has not changed since 2008: I still use way too many parentheses.)

In February of 2008 I did not know Teresa existed; now I can't imagine my life without her. I can't even imagine life without Matthew, and he's only been around for 3 months.

I intented to the Servants less than 3 weeks after Leap Day. Some of them were indescribably amazing friends to me during my college years; one of them was a bridesmaid in my wedding.

I'm still best friends with Emily. Yay us!

I wish I could write some kind of deep philosophical reflection here, but I haven't gotten much better at pulling together philosophical thoughts on short notice. So I'll just leave this messy post right here. Maybe the philosophical thoughts will come in a week or so.

No comments: