Monday, April 2, 2012

In which my dishwasher does weird stuff and I come to deeply appreciate my landlord

On Friday morning, I went to load the dishwasher and noticed about 2 inches of standing water in the bottom.

I instinctively recognized this as a Bad Thing. Consulting Facebook confirmed my impression. So when Scott woke up I told him to call the landlord.

He called the landlord that afternoon. The landlord said he'd come by either that evening or the next day. He didn't come in the evening. He didn't come in the morning of the next day. He didn't come in the early afternoon of the next day. I started to become very concerned.

Finally at about 4 p.m. the landlord arrived. He fiddled around under the kitchen sink for a little while and then explained that the hose that connected the dishwasher to the pipe was hanging down so water from the sink was going into the dishwasher instead of down the pipes as it should.

(The tragic part: The fact that I handwashed all the dishes probably made the problem WORSE. I should have run them through the dishwasher and stopped using the SINK.)

He went down to his office or something (I didn't watch, I just know he left the apartment for several minutes) to get some zip ties, came back, somehow attached the hose in question to the underside of the sink, and then wished us a nice evening and went on his merry way.

I had no idea how this worked, so after he left I fiddled around under the sink myself until I understood what was going on. Then I drew a diagram.

It's not the best diagram for several reasons, but I think it gives you a general idea of the problem. If not, well, I had fun drawing it anyway.

I've used the dishwasher once since then and that does indeed seem to have resolved the problem. So, my landlord wins the awesome landlord award.

No comments: