Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A long and much overdue Easter recap

Wednesday:
After lunch, I started making custard. It was actually pretty easy. The recipe says to stir constantly, but you don't actually need to stir constantly. You just can't go into the next room and play Sims while it's on the stove. So I started chopping strawberries into itty bitty pieces.

Chopping strawberries into itty bitty pieces is very boring, so that took me the rest of the afternoon, with frequent breaks. Then I made stroganoff for dinner.

Tablespoons of butter used today: Six

Thursday:
I made 48 homemade crescent rolls. I will have to post the recipe next week. You have to freeze them on trays and then trasfer them to baggies, and the only tray I had that would fit into my freezer was the little one from the toaster oven. So I had to freeze them 8 at a time. I put the last trayful in right before getting dressed for Holy Thursday Mass.

Then we went to Mass. There was no footwashing, male or female, which was kind of disappointing. It was a very pretty Mass, though.

Tablespoons of butter used today: About 16. (There's a whole stick of butter inside the crescent rolls, and then you slather them with more before you roll them up.)

Friday:
We went to the Good Friday liturgy. It was good, but my inner four-year-old was misbehaving so I didn't enjoy it as much as I probably ought to have. (This is why real four-year-olds at Mass don't bother me. I'm keeping my inner four-year-old in line; I don't care about your kid coloring on the pews.) The coolest part was the Dominican novices singing. (If you know what city I live in, you now know what parish I go to and can murder me on my way out of Mass someday, because that is what creepy internet stalkers do. You're welcome.)

In the evening, I boiled two dozen eggs.

Tablespoons of butter used today: About zero. Maybe somebody had toast or something.

Saturday:
After lunch, Scott and I settled down to color eggs. This took pretty much the entire afternoon, though we were hardly working like sweatshop children. We wandered off to do other stuff periodically.

egg dyeing supplies


pretty colors


Oh, and also at some point I put chicken in the oven to bake. Then at the appropriate time I made chicken alfredo. I forgot to buy rotini (a fact which I realized sometime on Friday), which is what we usually eat with alfredo, but we had a pound of macaroni just sitting around being not assigned to a meal, so we used that. Yay resourcefulness!

The Easter Vigil started at 9:00. I said we were going to leave at 7:30. We left at 7:45 and got there about 8:10, at which point the church was still practically deserted. There was an adorable toddler who randomly waved hello. The overwhelming cuteness caused my logic circuits to short out and I said "HI!" in that high-pitched, breathless voice I reserve for children under the age of about two. The toddler's dad gave me a weird look; I'm hoping it was just a "Do I know you?" look rather than a "Stop ogling my child, pervert" look.

The first thing we all did was go out and watch a Dominican light a huge pile of wood on fire. It was awesome. I was worried about losing our seats (which I'd claimed with hymnals because I'm definitely not leaving my purse or sweater behind when I don't know if I'll ever see that seat again). Then I decided that I should just enjoy myself, so I did. Fire is awesome.

And we got our seats back. They only did three of the Old Testament readings, which was kind of disappointing but I recovered since it meant I got to go to sleep that much sooner. And the music was awesome and I just about cried during the baptisms and it was just an all-around amazing experience.

When we got back to our pew, a somewhat older couple had been sitting next to us and the lady whispered "Hi!" with a big smile. I said hi back, but was vaguely off-put because I didn't know who she was. Then the lady's husband greeted Scott by name during the sign of peace, so I started scanning my mental list of "People I last met after Christmas Midnight Mass when I was on the brink of crying from too much tiredness." It's a surprisingly long list.

Scott wanted to go to the reception in the parish hall afterward, so we went. On the way, I asked him, "Do we know those people we were sitting next to?" And he explained who they were and I remembered that I had in fact met them after Christmas Midnight Mass. Then they came up and chatted with us while we were drinking punch in the parish hall and I was able to act semi-intelligent.

Then we drove home. I think we ate candy when we got home too. I don't really remember, because I was tired.

CAAAAANDYYYYY...


Tablespoons of butter used today: About eight.

Sunday:

I woke up at about 9 a.m. because I am weird like that. I ate a couple of boiled eggs and then photographed every last one, most from multiple angles, because I am weird like that. I also ate candy.

I put all my eggs in one basket.


Scott immediately guessed what these eggs were. Can you?


I don't remember what I did after that; probably surfed the internet. I think I may have unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher. Scott woke up around 11, but I didn't get around to making the stuffed French toast until about noon and we didn't eat until something like 12:45. You can find a recipe and some pictures here. More pictures:

French toast cooking station


French toast serving station


Om nom nom!

After that it was just about time to start dinner. I called my mom and asked for advice on a couple of things. I put a dozen of the crescent rolls on a pan in the oven but didn't turn it on because I didn't want to kill the yeast and they needed to fluff. I hacked up the ham and stuffed it into our crockpot. (It didn't fit in the crockpot in one piece.) I put whole red potatoes in a pot to boil.

I did not do those all at the same time, of course. I had a really nice afternoon doing the cooking in gradual stages and playing on my computer the rest of the time. Scott played video games and occasionally helped out in the kitchen. (He gave up video games for Lent.)

I didn't hit my Wall o' Tired until about 6:30, when I was completely overwhelmed by the prospect of mashing the potatoes. (And I've been mashing potatoes since I was old enough to see over the counter.) So Scott did the bulk of the finishing touches and we managed to sit down to dinner at a reasonable hour and everything was hot at the same time and it all tasted delicious.

It looked pretty too:

my plate


Scott's plate


the whole table


After dinner we watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer and ate candy and lounged around and then went to sleep. The end.

Tablespoons of butter used today: About 16

So, that was my Easter. It was awesome, don't you think?

No comments: