Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stuffed French Toast

Part 1: Custard

6 cups milk
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
Dash of salt
6 Tbsp of butter
1 Tbsp vanilla

In a large saucepan or stock pot combine milk, cornstarch, sugar, eggs, and salt. (The original recipe says to put in everything but the milk and then stir the milk in gradually. This would probably help it be less lumpy.) Set your burner to "medium" and heat the custard until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. When I made this there was a very sudden, marked difference in texture at the end. I think you'll know it when you see it.

Take the pan off the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.

Pour into a dish (I have metal tins with lids; I used one of those) and put in the fridge at least overnight.

Part 2: Strawberries

I cut 2 pounds of strawberries into itty-bitty pieces and added maybe a tablespoon of sugar (or two tablespoons; I don't remember). Then I stirred it all up, put a lid on the container, and left it in the fridge for four days. It's worked out fine so far.

Part 3: French Toast

I used this recipe. If you use it yourself, a note: Contrary to what the recipe says, it's okay for the butter to smoke. Exhibit A:


The piece of French toast at bottom center was cooked with non-smoky butter. The two at the top were cooked with smoky butter. The first piece was DELICIOUS and everything, but it just doesn't LOOK right. French toast should get a little brown, if you ask me.

Oh: And check the sides of your toast for bits of raw egg. This happened to one of my pieces, so I stood it on its side in the hot pan for about 30 seconds and the little dribble of raw egg cooked right through. (You can actually see it in the picture above. See the white patch on the side of the top left piece?)

Once you've made all three of these things, put them together:


And enjoy! :)

3 comments:

Becky D. said...

Yummy!

Emily G. said...

Mmm. I had stuffed French toast in a restaurant on a recent trip I took. It was delicious. As the cream part, they used what was apparently softened cream cheese with sugar and vanilla in it, which would be a bit easier than custard if you wanted to make it more spur of the moment. I need to try it. Either way, cream cheese or custard, it's got to be delicious.

The Sojourner said...

The recipes I saw online called for cream cheese. I felt like that wasn't quite the texture I wanted, so I went with custard instead. (I basically made this recipe up out own head, though of course I drew from existing recipes.) I should try cream cheese sometime and see how it compares.