Saturday, June 23, 2012

June grocery shopping and menu plan part 4


Milk: 1 gallon for $1.69 at Aldi. (!!!)

Bananas: Almost 2 pounds for 55 cents at Aldi. (29 cents a pound.)

Rainbow sherbet: $4.99 at Aldi.

Bread: $1.29 at Aldi.

Lemons: 3 for $2 at Meijer.

Cream of mushroom soup: 59 cents at Aldi.

Apples: $2.99 at Aldi.

Egg noodles: 99 cents at Aldi.

Tomato sauce: 3 cans for 87 cents at Aldi.

Shredded cheddar: $2.99 at Aldi.

Sliced Muenster: $1.99 at Aldi.

Sour cream: $1.29 at Aldi.


Peas: 98 cents at Wal-Mart. I was going to buy peas at Aldi, but Kroger had a 10 for 10 sale so I decided to see if they had any interesting vegetables, figuring that the worst that could happen would be I'd buy a bag of peas for $1 instead of 99 cents. So I stopped at Kroger on my way home and realized that their bags of vegetables are TWELVE OUNCES. That was not acceptable, but at that point it was late and I was tired so I just went home. This morning I noticed that we're almost out of shampoo so I decided to go to Closer Aldi* and Wal-Mart to get peas and shampoo. But then it occurred to me to go to Wal-Mart first and see if Wal-Mart had peas so I would only have to make one stop. And behold.

*Closer Aldi is about 2 miles away in one direction; just a little farther in the same direction is Wal-Mart. The Aldi at which I usually shop is about 3 miles in a completely different direction, but it's on the same stretch of road as a Meijer and a GFS and I pass by Kroger on my way to that spot.

Total: $23.21

Month-to-date: $198.08

So much for the $180 goal. At least I've squeaked in under the $200 goal. I think next month I'm going to try to avoid buying meat and see if I can come in under $180 that way. (I bought a LOT of meat this month and now have 9 pounds of chicken, 9 pounds of pork, and 6 pounds of beef in my freezer. Plus a whole bunch of steak that my parents got for Scott as a birthday present. I need to make Scott have birthdays more often.) (Yes, I'm going to make him share. MMMMM, STEAK...)

(Bacon doesn't count as meat. Bacon is...a condiment.)

On to the menu plan:

Breakfast: Strawberry banana muffins / Banana muffins

Dinner: Macaroni and cheese (Friday) / McDonalds* (Saturday) / Steak, rice, and peas (Sunday) / Chili and cornbread (Monday) / Stroganoff (Wednesday)

*We went to an amusement park with my family and then my parents bought us dinner. Yes, my parents are responsible for all the fun stuff we eat. I think I'm okay with that. I wonder if they'll buy more steak for my birthday.

I let Scott pick all the meals because I just don't care this week. BLAAHHH. Can you tell he likes beef? (I really should have gotten two bags of peas so we'd have some for the stroganoff.) The dinner I'm cooking tomorrow is his Official Birthday Dinner, since his birthday was a Friday (no meat) and today we were busy.

Also, I seem to have neglected to plan a meal for Saturday, June 30, which I really should have done since I don't plan on shopping until Monday, July 2. (We have enough leftover mac 'n' cheese to tide us through Friday, June 29.) Whatever. We have plenty of meat and rice. As for the whole fruit/vegetable element...lemon cake counts as fruit, right?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look for my motivation. I seem to have misplaced it somewhere.

1 comment:

Becky D. said...

I bought some of those 12 oz bags (green beans which Aldi doesn't have regular ones frozen) since I decided one more stop in 90 degree heat with carseats etc was not worth the difference in price.