Friday, June 29, 2012

Seven Quick Takes in which I want to hibernate until winter


--- 1 ---

I need ideas for super-quick, super-easy, high-protein breakfasts other than boiled eggs. "Super-quick and super-easy" translation: Sometimes I don't eat the boiled eggs because peeling them is too much work. (Also, the taste gets boring after a while.) So then I just have muffins for breakfast every day. I love muffins with a deathless passion, but my particular metabolism doesn't deal well with a constant influx of carbohydrates and I really ought to get better at that.

Oh, also, these breakfasts should be rock-bottom cheap.

--- 2 ---

My car has for quite a while been having problems with its electrical system. The car still runs fine and everything, but sometimes the air conditioning/radio/power windows will blink out for several minutes at a stretch before blinking back on. I ignored this all winter because I had other things to deal with, but then it got hot, and I don't deal well with heat. If you were paying attention, you will notice that the air conditioning and power windows BOTH go out, which means we are totally stuck in the stuffy car. We took it to a friend of a friend about a month and a half ago and he fiddled with the wiring for free and it worked again for about 3 weeks, which was fantabulous. But I'd rather not drive the half-hour to this guy's house every 3 weeks for the rest of the summer.

This is not a crowdsourcing Quick Take like the last one, this is just a complaining Quick Take. My first world problems are so oppressive.

--- 3 ---

I have been resenting my hair lately, which is something I do every summer. For those of you just tuning in, this is what my hair looks like, except it might even be a little longer now because it's been almost 2 years since that picture was taken. I think I did let my mom trim the ends once, though.

Anyway, I have no intention of chopping off my hair because I know I'd regret it. Plus Scott likes my hair. But I don't have anything on my mind besides "Wah, wah, so hot!" and I feel obliged to post these Quick Takes. So you get the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel this week.

On a happier note, I have lately been showering in the middle of the afternoon*, so when I go to pick Scott up from the bus stop in my oppressively hot non-air-conditioned car my hair is usually still wet and thus provides a nice cooling effect rather than a sensation of suffocation.

*Scott monopolizes the bathroom in the mornings getting ready for work. Now that he works all day, I don't want to shower in the evenings because that's another half-hour I can't spend with him. (Well... ...never mind, let's not go there.) So I shower after my nap. (I usually go to bed around midnight because of the aforementioned spending-time-with-my-husband issue. And then I get up at 5:45 so I have time to eat my breakfast in peace before I have to start prodding him out of bed at 6. I need my daily post-lunch nap.)

--- 4 ---

I solved the dilemma of the missing meal by making chicken pot pie. I had half a bag of mixed veggies in the freezer, I had chicken, I had flour, I had milk. I didn't have cream of chicken soup, but I figured I could work around that.

But then I used up all the flour on Monday making muffins and cornbread. Oopsie. So I substituted cornmeal for flour in the pot pie crust and it was actually pretty good. Kinda crumbly, but it tasted all right. Not bad at all for a meal thrown together using random items from the kitchen.

--- 5 ---

Several months ago, I decided to start collecting a list of the Most Hilariously Awesome Insults Ever. But I only had one.

Hilariously Awesome Insult #1: "You're such a loser that if they had a contest to decide who was the biggest loser, you'd come in second."

(Sadly, I don't remember where I found that, or I'd cite my source.)

 But yesterday I found another one.

Hilariously Awesome Insult #2: "I hope you step on a Lego!"

From this post. I know, it doesn't have the cleverness of the first example, but it's to the point and very, very vivid. I love it.

--- 6 ---

Follow-up to the car thing (It's now Friday morning instead of Thursday night, even though I referred to Saturday as "tomorrow" in one of the previous takes. I'm temporally confused.): I usually park on the west side of my apartment building because it's the most convenient. However, this aggravates the issue of burning-hot-carness in the afternoons, since by then the car's been sitting in direct sunlight for about 4 hours. There's no parking on the east side of the building, but today I parked on the north side after dropping Scott off in the hopes that this afternoon my car won't be quite such a deathtrap. Here's hoping it works.

--- 7 ---

I just realized that, since I didn't go grocery shopping this week, I won't be able to post about grocery shopping tomorrow, which is problematic because, as you can see, I have nothing of interest to talk about.

(P.S. I can't decide if "since I didn't go grocery shopping this week" should be offset with commas or not. I have seriously sat here analyzing it for 2 or 3 minutes. I'm nerdy like that.)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

6 comments:

Robert said...

I think you made the right choice about the commas. I probably would have done the same analyzing, even in an email. Emails as quick forms of communication are not generally so quick with me, for the punctuation reason. God bless!

GeekLady said...

Breakfast tacos: http://geeklady.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/breakfast-tacos/

Bagels & cream cheese. Peanut butter toast on homemade bread. Leftover frozen Dutch cream waffles (they're mostly egg), toasted. Steel cut oatmeal (cook it overnight in a crockpot) with ground flax seed.

Salome Ellen said...

Egg muffins! http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html
Make "em once a week, refrigerate in a baggie, eat cold or microwave.

(And my hair is almost that long:I pin it up a lot in the summer...)

The Sojourner said...

Salome Ellen:

I was thinking of making something almost exactly like that. Nice to know it can be done. I hate onions in eggs, though, which is probably why I didn't think of something vaguely quiche-like sooner. (The one time I had quiche it had onions in it. *shudder*)

My hair doesn't stay in pins well for some reason. I'd have to hairspray it every day to get it to stay up.

Nora Roisin said...

What pins have you used? And how thick is your hair (by the way, I can't see the picture)?

I'm a weirdo and I don't use shampoo, and ever since I stopped, my hair is easier to manage. But it's not great for everyone. I usually either have my hair braided or braided-then-pinned-up or twisted-then-pinned-up. I might be really used to hair smothering me, or else I just don't mind it anymore, but I am usually quite fine. I just hate when the sun bakes my hair hot on my head.

Anyway, I asks about pins because you could look at different types of pins (maybe I should email you about it, if you want), or you could see 'hairstick' hairstyles, or you could even find out what some weird people do by putting up their hair without anything at all (or else I'm dreaming that they do that). :)

The Sojourner said...

Rette, do you mean that you can't see the pic in the original post? Because there isn't one of my hair in this post, there's a link somewhere in that take. Here it is again: http://clearingthesill.blogspot.com/2010/09/because-i-love-you.html

I've tried a couple different kinds of hairpins. One time I was visiting Mari and she put my hair up for me (and she is the expert in hair-putting-up) and the pins were still dropping out all over the place during church, which was kind of hilarious in an embarassing way.