Friday, June 8, 2012

Seven Quick Takes with CUPCAKES!


--- 1 ---
I was somehow under the impression that the Schola end-of-year picnic was in July. Then on Sunday or Monday Scott reminded me casually that it was in a week (i.e. this coming Monday). At which point I freaked out.

I am less freaked out now. I have a 2-liter of Vernor's ginger ale (a.k.a. the best soft drink in the history of mankind) that I got on sale for $1 and some carrots and celery and ranch dressing and 2 dozen mini cupcakes which are in the process of being frosted all fancy-like. I'd post a picture, but my camera is like a whole 20 feet away.

[imagine that some time passes]


See! It is a poorly lit picture of a cupcake on a dirty plate! That is how you know I took the picture myself instead of stealing it off somebody's Pinterest board. But isn't it a cute little cupcake?

I have 11 of those. Only 13 more to go, but my frosting was all melty and then after I stuck it in the fridge it was too hard and then my frosting bag (a regular sandwich bag with a hole cut in the corner Scotch taped to a decorating tip, because I'm too cheap to get the fancy bags to go with the decorating tips that I bought) got a hole in it. So I think the other 13 will have to wait until tomorrow.

--- 2 ---
On Tuesday, Scott and I sat down and balanced our budget for May. We actually came out a couple hundred dollars in the black. Go us! Of course, June is going to be a whole different ballgame...Scott is going to make a little more money, but (conveniently enough) his student loans are also coming due, so in about a month we will again be typing numbers into Excel with fear and trembling.

--- 3 ---
I have been writing about meal planning/grocery shopping the last few days. If you're interested in that kind of stuff, go here, here, and here. If you're not, come back in a couple of weeks. I will probably have gotten bored and moved on to something else.

--- 4 ---
Confession: I will renew library books that I've already finished reading just so I don't have to drive the 1.8 miles to the library and return them.

--- 5 ---
Scott and I finished watching all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix Instant Play last week. We still have a season and a half of Angel, though. And then we have to watch Dollhouse, but Eldest Younger Brother apparently wants to watch that with us or something. Anyway, Scott and I are well on our way to watching the collected works of Joss Whedon in less than a year. Fear us and our geekiness.

--- 6 ---
Yesterday my right knee really hurt for no reason at all. Since I needed food and stuff, I went grocery shopping anyway and thus aggravated it by getting in and out of the car and carrying groceries up two flights of stairs and stuff. By the time I got home, my back was hurting too, probably as a result of limping around favoring my knee.

So I spent the entire evening getting up and down like an old lady.

My knee feels better today. My back still kind of hurts, but I am ignoring it. Except when Scott is around, when I demand backrubs.

--- 7 ---
About two weeks ago four of our lightbulbs burnt out. (FOUR. We only have, like, 10 in the whole apartment.) So last week I got lightbulbs at the store. I was able to replace the round lightbulb in the kitchen just fine, but the teardrop-shaped lightbulbs I'd gotten for the bedroom and living room were THE WRONG KIND. (There are TWO KINDS of teardrop-shaped 40-watt bulbs!!!) So then I went back to Meijer armed with a burnt-out lightbulb stuffed into my purse...and the display where the right kind would have been was empty. No more little teardrop lightbulbs. Everybody already bought them.

So I have to spend a whole 'nother week using the floor lamp (which is wedged inconveniently in the corner) instead of the ceiling fan (which has a switch in an easily accessible place and which illuminates the whole room from its convenient central postition). Because I'm not going back to the store to check for more lightbulbs before next week's shopping trip; that's a waste of gas.

Being a grown-up is complicated, y'all.


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

9 comments:

JoAnna said...

I'm reading this with my 2-year-old next to me, and she keeps pointing a the cupcake and saying, "I want that! I want that!"

The Sojourner said...

Awww.

Liza Jane said...

I might not be able to help you out with lightbulbs... but how about laundry detergent? My work tests household products and their competetor's packaging all the time, and right now I have about 7 bottles of laundry detergent (6 have like 50 loads, while one has 116)... want any?

Also, sorry about your knee pain. Limping is bad. It will hurt your back, and end up hurting your bad knee more (still working on figuring that one out). Hopefully it will never hurt again, but if it does, I have an extra cane you could borrow :p

Liza Jane said...

PS: I have been reading your blog consistently, I just haven't been responding cause I'm a bad friend... with no time on my hands whasoever...

The Sojourner said...

Depends on what kind of detergent it is. I have obscenely sensitive skin, and I'd rather not have full-body rashes to add to my old-lady limping. Plus, I just plain don't like stuff that smells.

Liza Jane said...

Well, What I have is six unopened bottles of arm and hammer (the one in the yellow bottles), a box of 100 arm and hammer powder, and one LARGE cheap liquid bottle (but it has a scent) let me know through fb or swomething

Rebecca said...

Agreed about vernors ginger ale. I love it! When I was pregnant I mixed it with fruit nectar (apricot is especially good) which was also surprisingly delicious. But, yeah, that IS the best soft drink on the planet at any time.

The Sojourner said...

My family got some Vernor's in the same sale and my sisters were mixing it with lemonade or apple juice. I thought that was really weird, but they claimed it was good.

Scott said...

Four parts apple juice and one part ginger ale makes gingery sparkling apple cider.