Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Southwest Chicken + "Midwest Chicken"

What my mom makes:

Southwest Chicken

1 jar salsa
1lb bag corn
4 servings brown rice prepare according to package
2-3 cups chicken (1 -1 ½ lbs) cooked diced
1 can black beans
Shredded cheddar cheese

What I make:

Approx. 2 cups dried kidney beans
2-3 cups chicken (1 - 1 1/2 lbs)
1 cup brown rice
1 lb frozen corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 jar salsa

1. The night before, start soaking the beans. Then on the day when you want to eat them, cook according to package directions. I generally cook a whole pound of beans and then scoop out 2 cups of cooked beans and save the rest for use in chili or minestrone soup or whatever.

2. Bake the chicken. I sometimes do this in the oven and sometimes in the crockpot. Once it's baked, chop it up into smallish pieces.

3. Cook the rice. I use 3 cups of water instead of the 2 that the package says because I like my brown rice a little soggy, apparently. (I cook it until there's no water left in the pot, though.)

4. Cook the corn. I microwave it for about 6 minutes.

5. Mix everything except the salsa all together in a big bowl. If your ingredients are fresh-cooked, they will probably melt the cheese. If you cook this meal in stages over 2 or 3 days like I usually do, dish it up into bowls and microwave it for 30 seconds or so.

6. Make fun of the members of your family who add nasty smelly salsa to their individual bowl.

No comments: