Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Egg muffins: An illustrated recipe

I basically invented this myself, cobbling it together from various recipes I found via Google.

 Ingredients:
1 small potato or 1/2 large potato
1/4 pound sausage
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 dozen eggs

Directions:

1. Brown the sausage and boil the potato. Chop up. You'll notice that I have half a potato and 3/4 a pound of sausage in the background there waiting to be put in the freezer. 
2. Grease the pan or use muffin papers. I used vegetable shortening this time and it worked fairly well; I will report later on other possible methods.
3. Distribute the sausage among 6 of the cups and the potato among the other 6 cups. Sprinkle cheese into all 12 cups.
4. Crack a whole large egg into each cup. You could also crack them into a separate container, scramble them, and then pour the scrambled egg into the cup, but I felt like doing it this way.
5. Beat them all with a fork.



















6. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. They should be done when they're a little brown on top. They seem to come out better when they are cool, but I need to experiment further with that.


7. Refrigerate. Carefully labeled bags are optional.

To eat, heat in microwave for 30-60 seconds.

(I think they came out pretty awesome, though next time I'll probably add salt. Scott also reports that they were awesome.)








3 comments:

Carole said...

Nice dish. It would be great if you linked it in to Food on Friday: Eggs . Have a great day.

The Sojourner said...

What a funny coincidence! I'll do that and check out the other recipes too.

Carole said...

Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday - I hope you enjoyed the eggy ideas.

Have a great day.