Saturday, July 7, 2012

July grocery shopping and menu plan part 1

On Monday, after the car was done being obnoxious, I went on a truly massive grocery shopping trip. Behold:


Sausage: $2.29 at Aldi. (I was AMAZED that sausage was so cheap, relatively speaking. I mean, 2.29 would be a decent price for ground beef!)

Bacon: $2.99 at Aldi.


Bread: 1.29 at Aldi.

Eggs: 4 dozen for $5.16 at Aldi. (Not the best price, but what can you do?)

Milk: 2 gallons for $3.38 at Aldi. (Yes, that's 1.69 per gallon. AGAIN.)

Cream cheese: 16 oz. for $2.38 at Aldi.

Butter: 4 pounds for $7.96 at Kroger. (One is unsalted because I am making a cake that calls for unsalted butter. This is the first time it has occurred to me to care that there is a difference.)

Mayonnaise: $1.99 at Aldi.

Shredded cheese: 3 lbs. for 8.97 at Aldi.

Lunchmeat: 1 lb. for $3.29 at Aldi. (Side note: I used to ask Scott to pick what kind he wanted, but he doesn't like having to make so many choices [I would ask him at the same time I would ask him to help me plan 3-4 dinners all at once]. So now I just grab whichever one strikes me as something he hasn't had in a while. This week was chicken.)

Sliced cheese: 8 oz. for $1.99 at Aldi.


Raspberries: $2.50 at Meijer. (I think those two packages add up to something like 12 oz, but I am very confused by the whole oz/pint thing.)

Blueberries: $1.34 at Meijer. (You can't really see them, but they are there under the raspberries.)

(I am going to try to make this cake for a family reunion picnic next week.)

Bananas: 59 cents at Aldi. (29 cents per pound.)

Lettuce: $1.99 at Aldi.

Celery: 99 cents at Aldi.

Peaches: $1.88 at Meijer. (99 cents per pound. I just felt like buying peaches.)

Tomatoes: $1.49 at Aldi.

Regular carrots: $1.29 at Aldi.

Orange juice: $1.29 at Aldi.

Green beans: 2 lbs. for $2.19 at Meijer.

Lima beans: 1 lb. for $1.99 at Meijer. (I was like: 0.0 But I bought them anyway because peas get very very boring after a while.)

Corn: 99 cents at Aldi.

Baby carrots: 3 lbs. for $2.97 at Aldi. (Again, 0.0, but I chose to think of it as a substitute for the $2.99, 3-pound bag of apples I normally buy for Scott's lunch rather than in terms of "But they were 49 cents the other week!")


Saltine crackers: 89 cents at Aldi.

Spaghetti: 2 pounds for $1.99 at Aldi.

Nonfat dry milk: $6.99 at Aldi.

Flour: $1.58 at Aldi.

Pickles: $1.19 at Aldi.

Baking cocoa: $2.99 at Kroger. (I need to remember to stock up when Aldi has it during the winter.)

Peanut butter: 4 lbs. for $6.99 at Kroger. (I am never going to need peanut butter again.)

Tomato sauce: 5 cans for $1.45 at Aldi.

Egg noodles: 99 cents at Aldi.

Sugar: 2 bags for $4.06 at Aldi. (Me: 0.0, but in a good way. That's why I got two. Now the trick is to NOT use it up twice as fast just because it's there.)

Onion flakes: 99 cents at Aldi.

Marshmallows: 99 cents at Aldi. (Have I mentioned that Aldi should have a dollar menu like McDonalds? That would be cool.)

Powdered sugar: $1.49 at Aldi. (Fun fact: It says "Confectioner's sugar" on the bag, but my receipt says "Powdered sugar.")

Potatoes: $2.99 at Aldi.

Total: $98.47

So...yeah, at this point not any lower than I was last month, and I didn't even buy (much) meat. I guess we'll see what happens later on.

Menu plan!

Breakfast: Egg muffins / Leftovers

Lunch: Lunch meat sandwiches / Leftovers

Dinner: Chicken noodle soup (Monday 7-2) / Rosemary pork roast, rice, and green beans with bacon (Wednesday 7-4) / Cheese pizza (Friday 7-6) / Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and salad (Saturday 7-7) / Chicken parmesan (Monday 7-9) / Fried pork chops, corn, and lima beans (Wednesday 7-11)

Dessert: Leftover cupcakes / Leftover rainbow sherbet (/ possibly some homemade pudding, since I'm down to one cupcake and it's 5 days until I go shopping again)

No comments: